News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

car transporter

Started by mr41cadillac, May 25, 2015, 07:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

I need to hire a carrier to haul a roadster from near columbis sc to savannah ga. does anyone have any recommendation? thanks john

cadillac ken

I have had some very bad experiences in the past and up until now would not have recommended anyone I had used.

I Recently was referred to a company NC Nutt.  1-800-755-2324.  I dealt with a man named Mike and he gave me his direct # :314-815-5558.  I had a car shipped last month for a reasonable price. They picked up the car within 4 days in GA and had it to my shop a few days later.  I am going to be calling them this week to pick up another car for me in KY

I own a shop and don't know if this great service is inherent or if they were just trying to impress me the first go around since I told them I was looking for a good carrier that I could trust to ship customers' projects to me as well as a car or two of my own.  But at least they came through as promised with updates sent via e-mail to me-- sometimes twice a day on the status of my delivery.

Good luck!

Ken Caskey in Florida

Ronnie

I have used McNutt Transport for years, They have hauled loads of new cars, used cars and classics as well.  They are gully insured and bonded and always get the job done.  Sometimes it takes a little longer for them to pickup the car, depending if they have a truck coming through the area.
Ronnie Hux  CLC#22548
1974 Eldorado ELC
2009 CTS 3.6 AWD

cadillac ken

Rich S

I have used Horseless Carriage Auto Transport for enclosed shipment of my '71 Eldorado Convertible  and '13 CTS Coupe (when brand new) for Pennsylvania to Florida and (later back) on seven or more occasions and the service has been great. The drivers have been careful and keep me updated about the status of the vehicle and there has been no damage to the car. I generally give them a reasonable time frame for delivery. The enclosed carriers are just like the ones pictured on their web-site. Here is their link:  http://www.horselesscarriage.com
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

RPangborn

You really have to be careful as to who you hire to do the transporting.  Basically many of the "transporters" don't have any trucks.  Most are basically just brokers.  The compile a list of clients, then make the lists to independent carriers.  The carriers try to make up a itinerary, based on where the car is picked up and it destination.  Many times they might just take the car so far, drop it off at warehouse.  At this point, it goes back on a list again. 

When transporting, remember you only get what you pay for.  Its well worth the extra money to get the best carriers.  Lots of these reputable carries require no deposit.  They collect when the car is delivered.  Most of us have spend X amount of dollars, getting our cars back in safe and reliable condition.  No sense in taking a chance with a less then reliable carrier.
77 Eldorado
79 Coupe deVille

mr41cadillac

thanks please keep sending some more references. so far ive gotten price as low as 250 -980. the 250 quote was from a company that got terrible reviews. the higher one was from one that haggerty said was good. still hard to believe its that much to deliver only 168 miles but I guess I will pay more for peaceof mind . thanks and send more  john

RPangborn

Quote from: mr41cadillac on May 25, 2015, 04:23:41 PM
thanks please keep sending some more references. so far ive gotten price as low as 250 -980. the 250 quote was from a company that got terrible reviews. the higher one was from one that haggerty said was good. still hard to believe its that much to deliver only 168 miles but I guess I will pay more for peaceof mind . thanks and send more  john

Hey John,

Just a thought.  Since the distance isn't really that great. Maybe you might want to check out your local towing companies.  Look for one that has a fleet of trucks, and a flatbed.  Might be safer with less aggravation.  Since most tow companies are on 24 hour call, you should be able to have your car towed at your convenience.
77 Eldorado
79 Coupe deVille

Classic

I agree with RPangborn.  Hire a local recovery company with a flatbed/rollback to go fetch it.  Easy day trip.  You (or your designee) could probably even ride with the driver.  Peace of mind.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

dolph4golf

I have also used Horseless Carriage Auto Transport and have been very happy.
Drivers seem to care, and keep the enclosed trailer spotless.
It might not come into play on a shorter trip, but on longer hauls, the car will remain in the position it was loaded for the entire ride. Might be worth it to get a quote for reference.

Randolph
Randolph Hane
clc# 22326
1941 Cadillac Convertible Coupe
1953 Eldorado #66
1953 Eldorado #513
1958 Eldorado Biarritz
1960 Eldorado Biarritz
1982 Coupe Deville
2004 Deville
2009 XLR

lou-q

Thomas Sunday is great car carrier company with their own trucks.
I've used them and was very happy.
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

mr41cadillac

thanks all I got passport lined up to do it

RPangborn

Quote from: mr41cadillac on May 26, 2015, 04:46:51 PM
thanks all I got passport lined up to do it

I think you will be more then pleased with their level of service.................good luck.
77 Eldorado
79 Coupe deVille

mr41cadillac

just to let everyone know passport delivered ny roadster today, and they were excellent. very friendly people who communicate and let you know whats going on. john

Ronnie

I have also used Passport to transport many classic automobiles all over the US. I NEVER had one complaint from a customer or one coming to me.  Their drivers and staff are excellent. 
Ronnie Hux  CLC#22548
1974 Eldorado ELC
2009 CTS 3.6 AWD