News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Eldo convertible to adjustments???

Started by Bill Caddyshack, May 27, 2015, 07:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Caddyshack

Both the tops on my 1959 and 1960 are a bear to get the clamps at the windshield to lock down when closing the top. They come oh-so-close, but a real fight to get that last 3/4" so that the clamp on the top goes in the channel/pin on the windshield and locks down.

Is there a manual, link, ANYTHING that will help me get this working better? There are many adjustments in the frame that all seem to have to come together so that the top closes properly, and the windows fit. I think that the 59 and the 60 are very similar, but slightly different. I bought the factory "Convertible Top Owner's Manual" but there is not enough detail about adjusting.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Bill,

The adjustment issue you're having is discussed in detail in the '57 Shop Manual - I presume it's also in the '58 book. Depending how much adjustment you need it may be accomplished with the attaching bolts located on the roof rails above the vent window. If more is required, you'll need to remove the rear upholstery and move the whole top frame forward. I would advise getting a manual and understanding what's needed. It can get involved because some of the adjustments can be interrelated to, and effect, others.

HTH,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Blade

Bill,

Beyond the adjustments there was also a discussion on this issue a few months ago (I can't seem to find it right now) but basically it was said that with a convertible it is also advisable that prior to latching/unlatching the top you should try to warm it up by letting it sit on the sun for a minute, this warms up the top material and allows for more flexibility and considerably easier latching.

If you're not doing this yet you might also try that 'trick'.

Cheers!

76eldo

First you need to figure out if your top has shrunk.

There are adjustments on the header where it meets the side rails and you may be able to loosen the bolts and push the header forward.

Is your weatherstripping new?  Some of the Steele weatherstripping is not flexible enough and does not compress enough to close the top.

Have you done this with the side windows up and down?  Is there any sag on the side rails?

Try one thing at a time. I had a 61 Biarritz for a while and the top was very hard to close but it was in cold weather when I had the car and was working on it.

One thing you don't want to do is pull too hard on the latches or the windshield frame.  You don't want to break the latches or stress crack the windshield.

As a last resort, you could play with the hardware on the latches and use some washers to space them out a bit.

A well adjusted top still needs to be pulled down when you raise it, but it should not be a struggle to do this.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bill Caddyshack

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on May 27, 2015, 10:03:28 AM
Bill,

The adjustment issue you're having is discussed in detail in the '57 Shop Manual - I presume it's also in the '58 book. Depending how much adjustment you need it may be accomplished with the attaching bolts located on the roof rails above the vent window. If more is required, you'll need to remove the rear upholstery and move the whole top frame forward. I would advise getting a manual and understanding what's needed. It can get involved because some of the adjustments can be interrelated to, and effect, others.

HTH,
Ralph

I have the 1957 manual and the 1958 Supplement, but can't find anything about the top adjustment. Could you help me find this discussion? I searched "convertible" and "adjustment" in my manual (I have a searchable pdf), but nothing.

I have also waited for warm weather. Didn't help. Both tops are nearly new.

chris cunliffe

Folding top adjustments :section 17-65 to 73 in 1957 Cadillac Shop Manual
1957 Eldorado Seville #967

Bill Caddyshack

Quote from: chris cunliffe on May 27, 2015, 05:19:04 PM
Folding top adjustments :section 17-65 to 73 in 1957 Cadillac Shop Manual

Got it!!! Thank you! Printed it out and will do some adjusting tomorrow.

wbdeford

Bill,

Page 15-19 of the 1959 shop manual covers adjustments to the "folding top".
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Bill Caddyshack

Quote from: wbdeford on May 29, 2015, 08:44:39 PM
Bill,

Page 15-19 of the 1959 shop manual covers adjustments to the "folding top".

Got it, Thanks. Bought some longer screws and some washers. Doing some adjusting tomorrow.