News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A Rough but Restorable 1959 Convertible

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, May 27, 2015, 11:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-DeVille-Base-/321764021601?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4aeaa15561&item=321764021601

Comments/observations:

Appears to be fairly complete but some parts hunting will definitely be required.

Assuming the bidding is genuine (it likely is), it sure seems a lot of money for a $100K finished car that needs $100K worth of restoration.  ::)

Although the car appears a substantially original paint code #50 (Seminole Red) car, I am at loss as to the reason for the white firewall. 

Any others?

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

57eldoking

The white firewall is odd, I thought first it could be a dust/dirt cover but it seems too defined. If you zoom in just above the washer jar you can clearly see a red spot suggesting it is red underneath.
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT

Blade

And the hood inside also appears to be white. Something is definitely not right ...  ??? My convertible sat outside for 20+ years before I rescued her and despite the paint oxidization and dust cover everything was clearly the same color as the body.

INTMD8

Seems like a good project but I would have a really hard time dragging that home for 50k+

James Landi

No way 20K --- ton of rust and some bondo around the rust... Leather interior in front is shot... I'd guess, maybe 120K miles (perhaps low mileage and in good condition for the first decade, and then run hard and neglected (" ... the top is down and was stored that way...")...if the body has been repaired and then rusted through again, what about the FRAME?  At what point is a car like this a "parts car?"

INTMD8

I've seen -far- worse repaired so its certainly worth saving. Would be better to start out with it at 25-30k rather than 50 though!

59-in-pieces

Agreed - $20 -30K, good jumping off place.
It is certainly not a parts car - from the pics we have.
The car is a good saver, for who am I to question another man spending HIS money.
If the deal is up and up - go for it, and keep the 59's rolling.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Agreed, definitely a worthy restoration candidate but north of $40K seems an awful lot for a car in such need.

I guess it's the price you pay for (relative) virgin canvas these days...

INTMD8

Quote from: ericdev on May 29, 2015, 09:59:24 AM
This one makes the red one look pretty good!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Other-n-a-/371338583405?forcerrptr=true&hash=item5675811d6d&item=371338583405

Haha, needs a little leather treatment :)   Spray painted rust is a nice touch as well.

Cadcliff

Its all supply and demand....if you recall the really rough Black car I sold last year for $19k, and it was bought for the chassis, tag, numbers, and some useable convertible parts. And what is more amazing was the many phone calls that I got for a few months after that wanting to buy the car and offering more....

I recently saw a 59 Biarritz go down for close to $25K.....No engine, no eldorado outside trim, a few interior side panel trim pieces, no cowl tag, VERY rusty, probably not a useable chassis, Very rusty body.

I have an all original 59 Convertible from SoCal, Black over Red, no rust, extraordinary original chrome, needs full resto, runs well now. Never hit, no dings on the stainless, pot metal pieces are very nice. I stepped up for it a few months ago and have not regretted it at all.
Cliff Graubard
CLC #1430

1955 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon x3
1956 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon- One of two
1955 Eldorado- bronze
1961 Cadillac Biarritz-bucket seats
1964 CDV- Silver/Red Every option
1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1940 and 1941 60S
1961 Cadillac Convertible
1965 Cadillac Convertible

INTMD8

Cliff, sounds like your red California car doesn't need a resto if it would clean up as-is.

I understand supply/demand, just seems like if the red car is worth 50k a properly restored one should be 250.  Or like Eric said, if you could find a super nice one for 100 how could you start out with that for 50?

Not sure, just glad I found mine before it hit ebay :)

Yup - deals like that are very rare. Key is to be prepared to act when they arise.

Jim, if you recall the Seninole Red '59 Series 62 convertible Misti posted here on the forum that was owned by her grandfather. Car had an overall excellent restoration but after all was said & done, the car never cracked $100K. I think it landed somewhere in the low - mid $90Ks.

Even at $40K for the red car here - how does one reconcile that against Misti's car?

Sometimes I just don't get what the market is thinking. Must be me.  ::)

59-in-pieces

Eric,
Hard to say, since we don't know from the pics if the floors and trunk are shot in the red car like the white.
When replacing floors in a convertible - there will be some.  But replacing them in either car is,  in for a penny, in for a pound - if you do it right.
As for the fender and door work for each is a relatively cheap matter - unbolt and rebolt replacements.
Interiors - no matter falling apart or passable - they both need to be replaced, so a push there - likely spring & frame work for both.
Repaints - both so a push there.
Replace rockers, in & out - both so a push there.
Yes, I know over simplifying the obvious work - but still the largest issues we know of - except running gear.

All in all, neither car has hit its reserve, with bids at $44 ish and $20 ish.
There is a long way between 20 and 40 to cure the majority of the photo ills, of the white car.
I frankly would rather be negotiating at the white car level, - knowing what it takes to do the work on each car - or any convertible for that matter.
And you still need to deal with the restored price - not allot of spread there when comparing finished to finished.

IMHO, the white car would freak out most and therefore fewer crazies - like me - would stand a better chance with the white car, given its photo known and unknown repair needs.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

rwchatham CLC 21892

As with any car on ebay no one really knows if it is real money or just bidding to get it up close to reserve so someone  may jump on it.
R. Waligora

No question about that but I do know of a black/red '59 convertible that was also original but positively awful that was sold for $44K about 5 years ago.

It is interesting at any rate to see different cars in various states of original decay. It would become pretty boring if they were all perfect.

I like following the markets on these cars.  8)

59-in-pieces

Eric,
You are correct.
But 5 years ago, that money was spent in a different market.
Dollars these days are harder to find, and tougher to get out of my wallet.
And, I don't think I'm alone on this.
Even chasing those little pieces of 59 Cadillac rusty charcoal, waiting to be made into diamonds.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

James Landi

How about a consortia of like minded folks pooling resources (sweat equity and cash) to restore one of these gems, and then sharing in the profits??????

...or losses...which I fear would be the price for getting involved with the puppies above.  :'(

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Just to tease you '59 gurus, I have been speaking with a person in the same (Indy) area for several months who has a "done" Series 62 convertible. Not "re-sale red," or black. We spoke yesterday, and he is not ready to show the car as yet, as he has had some health issues.
I've seen pictures and only saw one thing that didn't meet my specs, which of course, are far different than you experts.

No, I will NOT send you a shot, as that would not be fair to the seller. But he is wanting to sell the car, and it is at least decent. Watch this space... The last thing he said was, that he considers himself an honest man, and would tell a buyer everything that has been done to the car.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville