News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1992 Cadillac brougham brake back plates

Started by 2249richard, May 28, 2015, 05:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2249richard

Hello.
I have a 1992 Cadillac Brougham that I ordered a RH rear brake plate 15650130 from one ebay dealer, and LH plate 15650129 from another dealer.  Both were AC Delco and both were HUGE at 13-5/8" in dia.  My car is in the shop apart and now I don't have backing plates at correct 12-1/8".  I don't have time to make another mistake.  Since I bought two plates from different dealers and both are oversized I'm wondering is there a problem with the numbers?  Everyone says these are for my car, according to the parts book the numbers are right, but they are larger than what I have.  rock auto has the plates but can not confirm diameter prior to ordering.  Does anybody have any insight??
Richard

936CD69

My April 92 Brougham parts book lists 2 different size rear brakes for a 92; 11 x 2" shoes, or 11.15 x 2.75" shoes. The backing plates you have are for the larger brakes on a 9.5" axle. The part number for the plates for the 11" brakes is 18002392, right and left the same, and they would be for the 8.5" axle. Get the option codes off the Service parts label (on the trunk lid) that begin with G or J , those codes will identify the brake system and axle.

Craig
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

TJ Hopland

I too was thinking the 13" plates had to be for a truck and a 3/4 ton 2500 truck at that.     In the 80's and 90's that 9.5 axle was common in the lighter 3/4 ton trucks so maybe that info will help you trying to resell them after you get the car back on the road.    The 1/2 ton trucks of that era had basically the same axle and brakes as the Brougham.   Width was likely different and the trucks used leaf springs so not literally the same axle but the internals were the same.   

What happened to your existing ones?   Got grooves worn in em?   Unless they are worn through I have had pretty good success smoothing them out with a grinder.   They just have to be smooth enough that there is not an edge for the shoes to catch.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

936CD69

I just checked with the local dealer, the last known part number for the smaller brakes is indeed 18002392. discontinued many years ago. I could not find any stock via national locator, nor any aftermarket replacement. As TJ said, the trucks of that era used many of the same brake parts, you might also check the Olds Buick or Chevy station wagons.

Now up to the OP to respond with option codes......
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302