News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 Deville with TANK engine????

Started by chris cunliffe, May 30, 2015, 07:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris cunliffe

Seller on Ebay seems to think that he has a TANK engine in his late brothers 57 Deville,"one of 1200 produced that year".I pointed out to him that  57's were built with 365 engines but he is adamant that his engine has larger TANK pistons fitted.Only tank engines that I have heard of was the 346 flat head with 3.5in bore.1/2in smaller than 365's 4in bore.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-DeVille-White-chrome-/251973727307?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3aaacdf44b&item=251973727307

1957 Eldorado Seville #967

cadillac ken

I highly doubt it.  But the e-bay crowd is un to their own…

WWII was done and over for over 11 years. In any event, I don't know why a "tank motor" would end up in a car.  And how that adds any interest or value I couldn't guess.

I have "heard" that there were some 331ci motors that made their way into the military tanks, but the 365ci?  That's a new one on me.

Blade

I just realized this car is in my area and have seen it every day last fall driving to work, it was sitting on his driveway for sale. I never stopped to look at it, it's a white sedan, looked complete and rust free but unrestored I'd say #3 condition. My guess was he wanted something around $6-7K for it, don't understand why it's on eBay for $100K? The garage was also open almost every morning where he had a '57 T-Bird, looks like that is also up for sale .... for $100K again?  (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Thunderbird-White-chrome-/251973643816?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3aaaccae28&item=251973643816)

cadillac ken

I read e-bay and Craigslist as if it were my morning paper.  Very entertaining.  It seems the realm in which most of these sellers live is in a zip code in a galaxy far, far, away.

Ridiculous prices on items that get listed over and over again sometimes for a year or years-- at the same price is common.  I guess these sellers think they are the only ones that "know" what their stuff is worth and the buyers in the market, whom ultimately set the price of things, has no bearing on their prized possessions.

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I'm surprised that it didn't belong to Elvis!

chrisntam

Quote from: cadillac ken on May 31, 2015, 11:12:42 AM
.......snip...........
Ridiculous prices on items that get listed over and over again sometimes for a year or years-- at the same price is common.  I guess these sellers think they are the only ones that "know" what their stuff is worth and the buyers in the market, whom ultimately set the price of things, has no bearing on their prized possessions.

Agree with your assessment.  What I don't get is that it costs money to list them on eBay and they have the stupidly high prices, these things never sell, but still it costs the sellers money to list them.   I don't get it.  Are they "fishing" for a "big" one????  Why do they keep listing them???
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillac ken

I'm betting they're watching too much "car" TV.

It amazes me how these sellers think a guy in today's economy is walking around with 10k in his back pocket to spend on an "old car"-- and will pay that for their '68 4dr. La Sabre.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I communicated with the seller.

It appears the car is equipped with dual 4 bbl (Q Code) engine option but he mistakenly believes it is a "tank" engine.

Tank Q.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Blade

I'll try to drive by that location sometimes next week see if it's still there and maybe I could take a few pictures too. Last fall I was only driving that way for a couple of month because we got detoured for road construction. I'll give it a try again ...

Blade

I drove by this location in the morning but the house is now abandoned, the grass is knee high, bushes growing wild and also there is a piece of paper on the front entrance door. The owner must have moved somewhere else but from the location of the eBay ad it's the same town. If anyone has the new address I could swing by it.

chris cunliffe

It does state in the ads that the cars belonged to his deceased brother so I guess that the property was the brothers.Still intrigued as to what engine is actually in the Caddy
1957 Eldorado Seville #967