News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Quarter Panel Extensions 78 Sedan Deville

Started by FREDS64FLEETWOOD, June 02, 2015, 06:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FREDS64FLEETWOOD

Hello All,
I'm working on my 78 Sedan DeVille and I'm replacing the quarter panel extensions. Does anyone know the entire rear bumper must be removed to replace them. I have removed the lights on each side of the bumper, installed the filler extensions but my hands are too large to get back up behind them to install the two nuts that hold the vertical signals/brakelights to the horizontal bumper. I have searched and maybe I'm missing something but I cant find a DIY on it, or normal procedure.
Thank you all in advance!
FRED WITTENBERG
BREWSTER,NY
CLC#18218
1984 Sedan DeVille
1964 Fleetwood (Gone but never forgotten)

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Fred, it is late now, so I can look up in my '79 shop manual tomorrow and go through the procedure, which I'm pretty sure says that you do not have to take the bumper off. I have the same chore to do and have been putting it off all spring... BW
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

FREDS64FLEETWOOD

Thank you Barry. I really appreciate you looking that up. Interested to see what the shop manual says.
FRED WITTENBERG
BREWSTER,NY
CLC#18218
1984 Sedan DeVille

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Hi Fred, It says... Remove two nuts holding bumper outer end to bumper. Remove outer end from filler and disconnect electrical connections. Remove outer end. I think when I looked that you may have to use a long extension to get to the bolts from the underside of the car looking backwards. That may be where your hand is too large. Good luck. As I said, I've been putting this job off...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

FREDS64FLEETWOOD

Barry thank you so much! I thought that's where it was headed but I was wondering if it would be easier just to drop the 8 bolts and take the entire bumper off. thanks for your time it is really appreciated!
FRED WITTENBERG
BREWSTER,NY
CLC#18218
1984 Sedan DeVille