News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 Series 90 upholstery help

Started by KD, June 01, 2015, 06:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KD

I need to see if anyone can help me , I can match my seats, door panels and trim with a tan broadcloth from Hirsch, but I cant seem to find  matching headliner material, I've tried Hirsch, SMS and LeBaron Bonney with no luck. I have all of the original upholstery for patterns and I know the headliner was a lighter weight, but I can't tell if it was an exact match with the rest of the upholstery as it is very faded. Was it a match or a lighter color??. I can come very close with a lighter shade , but I want to be correct as there are only 4 left out of 20 produced. Also the carpet was a very dense plush carpet bonded to a rubber backing and snapped in place. I can't find a source for it either.
I'm trying to get the car ready for the 2016 Arizona Concours d'Elegance. I was asked if my car would be ready as they would like to have a V16 represented there. The upholstery is all that is remaining to finish the restoration.
Ken D  CLC#26801
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite

Jeff Hansen

Ken,

I'm not a V-16 expert (sure wish I were!), but the rear carpeting sounds like MossTred carpet.  This is essentially mohair fabric glued to a rubber backing.  Can anybody confirm that?  Brad?  Terry?

Really hope this helps you!
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Exactly right Jeff.  It is mohair molded (vulcanized) to sponge rubber.  LaBaron Bonney has an exact match to the color of the mohair.  It is not the most pleasant color but it is right.  I used a modern foam for backing it but that is not what I would do again.  After it was all done I realized it needed to be a firmer real rubber so I start searching for it and found it right away at McMaster-Carr.  They have real sponge rubber.  Ken, if you want to pursue this I will try to find the exact number of the material.

As far as I know Hirsch is the only one with the lighter material broad cloth.  I recent bought two weights of gray from him so not sure if he has two weights of tan.  On cars I have taken apart I think they were a slightly different shade but I would think if they are close no one can dispute the color difference or lack of color difference.  Another detail of these car on my 39-9033 (sold now) was the black cloth on the bottom of the door panel was not the same in the front and the back.  The front was black mohair and the back was black broadcloth.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Classic

Here's a link to the Packard forum that discusses Mosstred.  http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=compact&type=&topic_id=2806&forum=2&menumode=2

There is a small upholsterer in Homer, Michigan - Larder Upholstery.  He does Pebble Beach quality work on Cadillacs, Packard's, Duesenbergs, etc.  Call and talk to Mark Larder. phone (517) 568-4534.  Ask him what he does about headliners and Mosstred carpeting.  He did a beautiful job on my 1937 75 series sedan.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Steve Passmore

Before now Ken when a customer wanted matching headliner I have trimmed the headlining in the same material as the seats. The works OK with Broadcloth but not so with Mohair.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

KD

Thanks everyone,
Brad , I have a 9033 my rear door panels have a matching tan mohair, not black. The drivers compartment was black leather and the door panels had the black mohair at the bottom of the doors. if you would find that number from Mc Master-Carr for the sponge rubber, that would be great.
                                                                                                                                                                 Was the Was the mohair carpet color a close or exact match to the seats or different color  ?????. I have the original carpet and just need clarification.
Thanks again,
Ken D CLC#26801
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite