News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Antenna issue

Started by GeoCad, June 03, 2015, 04:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeoCad

I have a 1974 SDN with a 472, 30000 miles. This is my vacation car. I got back from a 1200 mile round trip. My best MPG was 15.7 on back country roads going about 50mph. My adv the entire trip was 13.2MPG. I love driving this car. But to add... Everything on the car works but, the other day my power antenna will only go up about 5inches. There is no clicking, no additional running of the antenna motor. I do clean and oil the antenna about 2x a month. any thoughts. Thanks in advance George

cadillactim

Does the antenna go back down when the radio is turned off? If so, then one of the limit switches in the antenna is most likely bad. The first limit switch lets the antenna go up 6-12 inches, then it stops. Then you have to use the dash switch to raise it the rest of the way. The second limit switch stops the antenna at full travel. The first limit switch sends power to the dash switch after the antenna raises its first 6-12 inches. If the dash switch will not raise or lower the antenna then power is not getting to it. That is where the limit switch could be acting up. Common problem.

That particular limit switch is next to impossible to repair once it acts up. When I rebuild these antennas I often do a special modification that eliminates that "first" switch so the antenna raises and lowers completely, no 6-12 inch raising (though you can still adjust the height with the dash switch).

Care has to be taken when performing this modification, so the other limit switch is not damaged.

Tim
Tim Groves