News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need Help - 41 60S Door Upper Weatherstrip

Started by Paul Phillips, June 04, 2015, 02:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Phillips

Getting into final reassembly stages and have hit on a situation that needs the expertise of one of the 'old masters' of 1941 cars. 

The 60S has a weatherstrip that attaches to each of the upper door opening with a chrome retainer.  This weatherstrip seals the door glass frame to the body.  The good folks at Steele were able to supply the extruded weatherstrip and a kit of filler pieces that close the extrusion at the beltline.  The problem is there are fillers only for 6 of the possible locations and Steele has no information on the missing pair (used at the front of the front doors).  The missing part is in Group 31.4350 and carries p/n 411 6391.  My parts manual does not have an illustration for this area, and the weatherstrips I removed were too crumbled in these areas to have any useful evidence.  What is this mystery filler for the front of the front doors?  Is it a simple plug, or something more exotic?

BTW, the rear door is Group 31.4360, and the 6 pieces I have are p/n (2) 411 6375, (2) 411 6376, (1) 411 6392 and (1) 411 6393.

Thanks for your help in solving this so I can correctly complete this area of the restoration.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Paul Phillips

Still looking for guidance on this.  Could anyone with an original/near original 60S please take a look at their car and advise how this upper weatherstrip looks in the area above the front door hinge?  Is there a simple round plug in the bottom of the rubber extrusion, or is there a more 'featured' solution, as is found at the B pillar or latch end of the rear door opening.  Pictures would be even better!

Thanks again,
Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)

Barry M Wheeler #2189

HI Paul, Why don't you call Dennis Akerman in New Hampshire. He just purchased the most original 60S I know of. He is in the book.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bill Ingler #7799

Paul: Set you email pictures of the car Barry talks about in his posting.  Bill

Paul Phillips

Thanks Bill & Barry!  I am posting below one of Bill's photos with the desired & mysterious part inside the yellow box.  Definitely more than a simple plug for the extrusion but not quite the same as what goes on the B pillar or C pillar ends.  Will try again to see what Steele says with the photo evidence.  Meanwhile if anyone else has solved this, would love to hear about it.

Thanks
Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)

Jeff Hansen

Paul,

I just checked on my 60S.  I have nothing there on mine although it looks like something may have been there in the past.  I blew your photo up fairly large and it does look like some type of rubber bumper - not necessarily a plug, I don't think.

If you can get a hold of Dennis Akerman and have him take a good photo, that would likely be your best bet.  Dennis is a great guy; I'm sure he'd be happy to help you!  He is on the forum.

Sorry I can't be of more help...

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan