News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado steering wheel

Started by RonG, June 04, 2015, 10:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonG

Does anyone know what can be done to fix the plastic wood inlay on the 1976 Eldorado steering wheel?

Jeff Moffo

How bad is yours?  Most of the inlay popped off when the outer plastic steering wheel cracked through the years unless you were lucky enough that the car hadn't seen much sun over the past 39 years.  I also have been told it simply came loose due to oils in peoples' hands.  There are some steering wheel repair places (online) and some pretty cool youtube videos of how to repair them if you are handy.  Takes some epoxy, some good paint (Maybe try SEM) and a lot of patience.
That cracked wheel with the missing wood really detracts from the car.

If you aren't too concerned about keeping it original, some people simply pull out the broken inlay and wrap the wheel in some leather.  Just doesn't look like a 1970's Cadillac to me that way. :(
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

TJ Hopland

The later wheels fit too you just have to swap some parts around from your old one.  79- till airbags will work and often times were leather covered from the factory so you don't have to worry about having the same problem.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

There are companies and individuals that do this repair with an almost correct faux wood inlay and repaint the wheel and they look beautiful but the cost is usually about $600-$700.

A bit high, but you would only have to do it once.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

RonG

Actually the wheel has no cracks in it and the wood is still about 80%. Maybe I'm just being anal.

mgbeda

No such thing as anal where old Caddies are concerned.
On mine I also found that once the "wood" started peeling the remaining sharp edges would occasionally cut me as I steered, like a paper cut.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

TJ Hopland

Quote from: mgbeda on June 08, 2015, 07:17:40 PM
On mine I also found that once the "wood" started peeling the remaining sharp edges would occasionally cut me as I steered, like a paper cut.

That is how mine was.   That metal wood is pretty sharp as is the bits of the plastic.   Even the empty groove in the wheel has a pretty sharp edge.    Mine took a big chunk out of my finger one time so I ripped it all out while I was at a stop light.  Shortly after that is when I discovered the empty groove was also sharp. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

My wheel is not too good and I have been looking for a nice red one for years.

I may get mine restored over the winter.

I bought the car 12 years ago and it had a red wrap on the wheel that is comfortable and looks "ok" but...

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bill Young

I wrapped my wheel with thick masking tape to mask the sharp edges and round out the wheel. Before I did that I used the masking tape around the wheel where the chunks were missing and poured in epoxy. I then ordered a dark red leather wheel wrap online and installed it myself the result is very acceptable for a nice driver. Total cost was about $60.00 for the wrap plus tape and epoxy, I just can't afford to have the wheel restored to original as I am over 60 and cannot find employment that affords such luxuries any more.

Scot Minesinger

I did what Brian wrote and paid Gary's in PA to restore my steering wheel.  It was done in 2008, and still looks just as if Gary shipped it to me yesterday.  You can tell it is not original, but it looks very close and perfect.

If you do remove the steering wheel there is plastic white piece often referred to as a rose, because it has a flower pedal look to it.  This is what makes your horn work (and it will work even with multi -crack failures) and it was used in many GM vehicles from 1970 thru 1982, widely available on e-bay.  Let me know if you need the part number, that usually brings it up on e-bay.  Anyway this piece is unlikely to survive the steering wheel removal and it is inexpensive ($30?).  I would have it on hand when replacing the steering wheel, and it slips on easily.  You will see when you take the wheel off, pieces will fall on the carpet. 

If you decide to get the steering wheel restored, buy a steering core wheel from e-bay (or whoever) and send that off to Gary's or whoever to be restored.  That way you can drive your car while the core is being restored.  Then when the restored wheel arrives if it meets your approval it can be installed.  The either retain the original wheel or sell it.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

jagbuxx #12944

I purchased a "slave" wheel from Ebay-a nice black one so that I could have my wheel sent out for refinishing. The grain is not quite the correct "Tamo wood" grain but does look good...the cost with shipping was $525.00.
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

In such a long thread I am surprised that no one suggested obtaining an original leather wrapped Cadillac wheel. They were an option for many years. I really like the feel of the inlaid wheel, and luckily both cars are good. The '79 is "thinking about" coming loose in a few places. What is maddening about the situation is that once it starts, you can't seem to keep your fingers away from the edge coming loose.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

mgbeda

I'd say the medium-cheap way to proceed is to find a later model Caddy wheel.  I used an '85 Seville wheel in my '76 DeVille for years- it was the right color and only Cadillac experts would know it wasn't original.  I did have to change over parts, like the "collar" on the steering column, from the old wheel to the new one.

The only way to fix it right is steering wheel restoration, but since your rim isn't cracked yet maybe they wouldn't charge you so much to do it.

Incidentally, I while ago I saw a Craigslist ad for a fairly worm 80's Brougham.  The leather-wrapped wheel had part of the leather torn off, but underneath, at least in the photo, it looked like the steering wheel had the older style smooth plastic rim, with the woodgrain and everything.  Is anyone able to confirm this?  If that's the way GM made the leather wrapped wheels that could be a great, cheap source of nice, correct steering wheels for 79-mid 80's Caddies.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)