News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Eldorado 2 door limited edition

Started by Brad Hemingson CLC #18437, September 26, 2013, 11:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Hemingson CLC #18437

I'm looking at a 1970 Eldorado. So far I've only seen pics. Owner claims it's a "special edition".  It does have bucket seats and a console but other than that and a vinyl roof I don't see anything too special about it. Were there any limited edition 1970 Eldorado's?

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Davidinhartford

I agree with Bob.    Nope.  No special editions were offered from the factory that I have seen.

Could it be a "Spring Edition" exterior color?    In some years Cadillac would add a couple of new colors in the spring that would be regular production colors the next model year.  But that doesn't make the car a special model, just a special color.

What would make a 70 unique is a factory installed power sunroof.  Quite rare, but still not a special model.

Also,  there were some dealer sold customs like the del Caballero.   But these were never  sanctioned by Cadillac no matter what the seller insists.

66 Eldo

Who built the del Cabelerro Eldorados and what year(s) were they offered? I remember one I used to see that was Chateau Mauve color. It had the heavy chrome grille and the vinyl insert on the deck lid. Plus a sunroof. I think it was a '70.

Davidinhartford

Quote from: 66 Eldo on September 27, 2013, 03:48:33 PM
Who built the del Cabelerro Eldorados and what year(s) were they offered? I remember one I used to see that was Chateau Mauve color. It had the heavy chrome grille and the vinyl insert on the deck lid. Plus a sunroof. I think it was a '70.

They were made by Barris Kustoms in North Hollywood, CA from 67-70.

Thanks guys. You all confirmed my suspicions. I've been looking at ebay and people keep listing 1970 Eldorado "base" models. I don't get that one either. I think people think the vinyl roof is special.

Davidinhartford

Quote from: Brad Hemingson CLC #18437 on September 28, 2013, 07:50:16 PM
Thanks guys. You all confirmed my suspicions. I've been looking at ebay and people keep listing 1970 Eldorado "base" models. I don't get that one either. I think people think the vinyl roof is special.

There were no separate trim levels until mid 76 when the Biarritz package debuted.

As for the 1967-1970 with vinyl tops?      Nine out of ten were ordered with a vinyl top.
Contrasting color vinyl tops were all the rage in the sixties.   
The ones without (slicktops as some people call them) should be considered the rare ones.

The one I'm looking at needs fenders. It looks like they tried to squeeze through a space 6 inches too narrow. Will earlier 67-69 fenders interchange?

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Brad,
Actually 70 only. You can use 69's but the Eldo letters are in a different place.
Base models are ebay speak, especially used by idiots using the "fits" feature.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Glen

I think with some body work any 67 â€" 70 fenders would work.  The 70 fenders do not have the radio antenna or the fender mounted turn signal indicators.  These would have to be welded up and the letters would have to be relocated.  The 69 fender is also lacking the turn signal indicators but it does have the radio antenna.  That would take a little less work to make it work
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

markcapen

see picture of 70 el classico
Mark Capen

cadillacmike68

That looks like an aftermarket vinyl top.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

markcapen

It is an aftermarket modification, the car has a sliding roof,  I don't know if it was part of the modification by Wesco
Mark Capen

Davidinhartford

There were several customizers at the time.   Barris offered the del Cavallero.

It was pretty over the top and had an endless selection of items you could add-on.

There were also some 67-70s done by Les Dunham.   He gained fame a few years later when he provided cars for the 1973 James bond film, "Live and let die".

Wisco and ASC offered the elClasico and the elDeora customs too.  I've only seen the elDeora package on the 71-78 cars though.

superflytnt

There is a 70 Eldorado that has the Barris Delcavallero package that sometimes have different options such as big chrome hood cap,custom grill,sunroof,Landau bars,vinyl trim on trunk and front doors,running boards,and side mounts.Some 68 Eldos came with DeCaball trim,including wheel covers with center cap

superflytnt

delCaballero 1968 Eldo

superflytnt

Some 67-70 Eldorados had the El Clasico package or DeCavallero or DeCaballero,meaning belonging to a gentleman George Barris of California designed the 67-70 DeCaballero Eldo