News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Unhooking emissions pump

Started by CadillacFlashback, June 07, 2015, 11:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacFlashback

My emissions pump on my '71 CDV has a visible wobble in the pulley, and I'm wondering if that is a factor in the vibration I have been chasing. Is there a problem with removing that belt?  Will I need to adjust anything (timing, mixture, etc) if I do?  Not really familiar with exactly what that contraptions does.

Thanks
Scott Forman
'73 Eldo Pace Car festival car #12
'93 Allante (daily driver)
'11 CTS-V Coupe
'78 Seville Elegante
'52 Fleetwood 50th Anniversary
Some non-Caddy stuff too

Scot Minesinger

That smog pump is worthless and I would remove it.  Call MTS in CA and they sell a kit for that, which I installed on a 1972 Cadillac, works perfect.  Problem is the smog pump serves as an idler pulley for water pump, so that needs to change to the alternator serving as idler pulley, just like a 1970 Cadillac.  From 1968 thru 1974, 1970 was the only no smog pump year plus it did not have fan clutch, so quite a durable set up there in 1970.

Don't under estimate how much vibration and rough idle a bent wobble pulley causes.  I replaced a similar bent one on a power steering pump for a customer, because they wanted a nice engine compartment and it was not bent that bad.  Afterward it was quite a transformation.  To prove this today you can temporarily remove the belt when engine is cold (no water pump) and run it for a minute and you will see how much nicer it is.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bcroe

If a belt has a very long span between pulleys, it might sometimes vibrate.  I have fixed
a couple of these by adding an idler pulley to break up the long span.  Bruce Roe

walt chomosh #23510

scott,
  I pull belts off (briefly) when troubleshooting motor vibrations. And,my experience also shows that too long of a span between pulleys call for a idler as bcroe suggested.(look closely at your motor mounts)...walt...tulsa,ok

Scot Minesinger

The belt for this revised set up is about a 50 inch diameter ID, and it is not too long.  I just completed this on a 72 Eldorado and she is super nice running, no vibrations.  Plus the a/c to power steering double belts are longer and will be the first to cause an issue with long span.  My 1970 Cadillacs do not vibrate either.  This long belt thing is not an issue on this application, else the 1970 Cadillacs would have a reputation for vibrations.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Gentlemen,
The discussion about long belts causing vibration does not seem to be applicable in this instance.  The Air pump to water pump belt on the AIR cars is 38 inches.  The crank pulley/water pump/alternator belt that was used in 1970 and essentially all cars without AIR is 51.5 inches.  The simplest solution to the issue is check the AIR pump pulley to see if in fact it is bent or if the problem is in the pump itself. Then straighten/correct the pulley and eliminate the need for all the modifications. 
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-