News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1953 331 fuel pump and vac line question

Started by CRAIG LEWIS, June 12, 2015, 06:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CRAIG LEWIS

Just finishing my 53 331 rebuild and installing Carter 4brl carb. I will be installing motor in my 51. Question is my fuel pump on the 53 is not set up with vacum pump just fuel pump. I noticed there is a line off the intake manifold which normally would go to the vac pump but on the 53  it has about 6 inch line with a fitting but leads to nothing at this time. I also have a brass female fitting coming off the oil filler neck just at the juncture where the fuel pump bolts to the neck. I have no idea what that was for. As for the carb I have a fitting presumably for the fuel line in the rear but alos see it threaded for something on the front but nothing was comming off this side. The engine was not in a car when I bought it and had no carb. I found a carb which is supposed to be correct for the 53 except soemone replaced the stock choke so it has no adjusting rod for the choke.  Any assitance would be appreciated on what the correct connections should be for fuel and vac. Should I pull the fuel and vac pump with the filler neck form my 51 and use that and plug the 2nd hole in the carb at the front?

Thanks,
Craig

CRAIG LEWIS

O  I feel a bit stupid Right after I posted this I realized the front fitting was an alteration someone made for a overflow off the float to dump fuel if it ovefilled so the carb is not an issue anymore. I will have that plugged up dumping fuel is dangerous. My 47 had a similar tube that ran down the bell housing. This one would have to route past the exhaust. Boom!     

Here is a pic of the fuel pump and filler neck. The line in the picture goes to the intake manifold which normally went to the vacuum side of the pump which as you can see there is none.

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Craig, The 53's used a two stage fuel pump. The upper part was fuel, the lower was a vacuum pump. It was intended to aid the car's vacuum system when engine vacuum was low, during acceleration. So the 53 engine you have has the wrong fuel pump on it. A hose goes from the fitting on the intake manifold to one side of vacuum pump and another hose from the other side of the vacuum pump runs under the intake manifold up to a tee fitting on the firewall. This would supply vacuum to the wipers, radio antenna and windshield washers if so equipped. The fitting on the oil filler neck is for the oil filter return line. Oil filters were optional back then. If there was no oil filter, that would simply be plugged. Note that this location was new for 53. The threaded connection at the front you mention sounds like it's for the vacuum supply to the vacuum advance on the distributor. Some photos would be helpful. I don't have my master parts book in front of me, so I'm not sure if you can swap your 51 stuff to the 53 motor.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

CRAIG LEWIS

Thanks. I knew it was missing the vac part of the pump so I guess that is not normal for 53. Looking at my 51 it looks interchangeable so I will pull it and see. I am going to keep the filler neck from the 53 and use  it since I will install an oil filter and i will route the return line there instead of to the block. I believe all my lines will work out if I swap out the fule pump from the 51. This set up that was on the 53 threw me. i guess they did not use anything requiring the vac pump. I don't know the histroy so it could have been bypassed on whatever it was in before. Thanks for clearing this up.