News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

53 steering box oil

Started by kav, June 14, 2015, 04:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kav

This is going to sound stupid but what oil grade should be used in the steering box on the 53 . I noticed that mine was leaking . What it leaked onto the floor looked and smelt like diff oil . So I topped it up . After looking at what was left in the drip tray it looked like ATF . The manual only states to use GM 46-- blah blah which no longer relates to any available oils at the local shop . Can you guys clear up whether 80/90 diff oil will be alright . Cheers Stuart .
1953 series 62
nicknamed  SERENA

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would be using 90-120 if it was available.

I have even been known to use 140.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bobby B

Stuart,
Hi. I believe you have a 50's GM Saginaw Power Steering Box which would call for a type "A" fluid, now replaced with Dexron. Here's some modern choices, take your pick:

http://www.carid.com/1953-cadillac-series-75-power-steering-fluid/

If you were talking about a Manual Steering Box, I have had Excellent results using Penrite Steering Box Lube. It's a Semi-Fluid Extreme Pressure Lithium Grease made specifically for vintage automobiles:

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=14&id_products=90

Good Luck,
                                                                    Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

kav

Thanks for the replies guys . Looks like I might be sticking with what I put in it as I can't get the drain plug out .
1953 series 62
nicknamed  SERENA