News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'63 Caddy, '65 Hub Caps

Started by Kellapalooza, June 18, 2015, 09:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kellapalooza

Hello all,
I recently started putting together a 1963 Cadillac Sedan deVille. It didn't come with any hub caps so I bought a set that I liked. Turns out, they are for a '65 Cadillac. They fit 16 inch wheels, not 15 inch wheels like I have.
If I get wheels from a '65, will they fit the lug pattern on my '63? Will I have any other issues?
If there are no issues, any suggestions on where to get them and how much is a fair price?

Thank You in advance,
Kelly

Bill Young

Hello , To my best knowledge all Cadillac's of the 50's and 60's are for 15 inch wheels. I hope this helps.

russ austin

I have a couple of 66 rims, and several 63 hub caps.  Your choice, but I would go with the hub ceaps. Quicker and easier to do.

My email;  russ85747@hotmail.com
R.Austin

m-mman

You are likely assuming that the 66 wheelcovers are 16" because they clip on at the very outer most edge of the rim. Not the inner bead area of the rim where most all wheelcovers clip on. Although Cad & Lincoln both used this design during the 60s.

Originally these very full wheelcovers required special wheel weights that offset the actual weight further in to clear the clips on the wheelcover.

Back in the day tire shops charged extra for these special weights. Not sure whether you can get them today. A modern spin balancer however should be able to balance adequately while factoring weight placement only on the inner edge of the wheel.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

Scot Minesinger

You can still buy the weights for these hub caps.  Yes, Cadillac used 15" wheels for more than two decades (maybe three) where 1966 was in  that time span and used 15" wheels.  Sometimes those stainless clips on hub cap get bent funny, and needle nose pliers resolves the problem.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Chuck Swanson

Here is a similar thread:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=134018.msg289556#msg289556

Bottom line, the '65 hubcaps should not fit on your '63 if they have original steel rims.
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T