News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1938 Cadillac Series 60 Convertible Coupe Restoration

Started by rvc_51, June 19, 2015, 01:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvc_51

Hello.  I would like to begin the restoration of my '38 convertible coupe.  I am interested in a driver quality restoration.  I am not interested in owning a show car.  The car is currently in Georgia.  I am looking for recommendations for a good restoration shop.  Thanks. 

gary griffin

Rick,

I am glad to know another classic Cadillac is going to be restored. I am assuming you are in Georgia along with your car.

How much control and participation do you want in the project. I am a sort of control freak I guess wanting to have my hand in all phases of restorations I do. If you have the time and ability to do that you can save a lot of money but it will cost in time.  I have subcontracted whole projects and done some with more of my time involved.

If you would post some pictures of the car and what you are trying to accomplish it will be easier for forum members to gather advice for you.  If you want to discuss give me a shout. garygriffin@Q.com

Good luck!!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Steve Passmore

Welcome.   That is one very rare car, I'm envious. I have the hardtop coupe. 
Is it really possible to get a restoration shop to do a driver quality job? They would almost have to do sub standard work no? If one does the restoration themselves then I can see there would be different standards of work according to ability but a restoration shop would want to do it to the very best to maintain their good name.  I have been trimming cars for 35 years and if someone asked me to do a driver quality trim I wouldn't really know what to do, nor would I let it out the shop less it was what I thought was the very best I could do.     I really don't know how that would work unless you just don't have everything done but the fastest way to show up a cars faults is to have the adjoining piece restored and placed next to it. very difficult.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Doug Houston

I once had the Opera Coupe version of this car. I do all of my restorations except plating and interior trim. I stick to as close as possible to original.I always admired these cars as the factory shipped them. They'd never pull a high score in judging and I don't grieve over it.I've driven some of them on long trips with few, if any, problems.

The 38-60 that I had came to me with a badly cracked engine, and not the original even at that. A friend gave me a low mileage '42 Cadillac engine, and it went into the car as received. It was a low mileage 42-75 job. the car was a joy to drive, but I had to sell it for space for another car.   

With me, selling a car is a most rare occasion!!
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Barry M Wheeler #2189

There is (was) a twin to your car in Point Pleasant, OH or WV. They smooch up together at that set of bridges where the Kanawha flows into the Ohio. (Moth Man Territory, too.) In any case, check your Directory. The owner should be able to give you many, many pointers on his restoration. Best of luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

cadillac ken

Steve Passmore is spot on.  I own a restoration/custom built car shop.  I recently wrote an article on this.  A "driver quality car" and a "show car" have little separation in money spent, time spent, or the final result.  The car will still need to be completely disassembled, blasted clean, rust areas dealt with, etc.  Not to mention, the cost of primers, paint, interior, weather seals, mechanical issues and so on are the same cost for both a "show car" and "driver quality car".  And of course the labor rate is the same for both to do these tasks.

If you commit to this project it will, as always, cost more money than you will recover, despite it is a very rare car.  Just be prepared.  The worst thing that I see in this business are cars that the owner "quits on" because of money or time. Cars languish in the garage all apart and never see completion,  not to mention at that point the car has lost a lot of value now as a "project car" as opposed to a "complete" car.  A project is a long road commitment and not for everyone.  But with that said, when completed, there is one hell of a euphoric state achieved when you take that car out and enjoy it knowing the time and commitment you put into it.

Remember that this is a hobby and these cars, while quite valuable, never really bring back the money you spend on them to do them "right".  If they did, I would not be working on other folks cars in my shop--  I'd be buying, restoring, and reselling them for myself.

rvc_51

Thanks for all of the replies.  This is not my first restoration.  By show car, I mean a car restored to be judged.  NOT INTERESTED!!!  By driver, I mean for example,I want directionals,  I want this engine rebuilt using all of the period correct 'speed equipment' I have collected for the car.  The car will not be as it left the factory but it will be 'period correct'.  Anyway,,,  I am still looking for restoration shop recommendations.     

cadillac ken

where are you located?

kiddarrins.com

This is my shop.  The website is being updated with a lot of new work. 

cadillac ken

Thanks for your compliment.  Like I said some of that work is 20 years old!  I have been working with a web guy and we are about to launch the new updated website. 

Did you see the Camino DeVille?  I'm hesitant to show it here for fear of being burned at the stake!  I do however have a 1958 Biarritz in the works for myself as well (restoration).  Also just got my new addition to the Caddy family last week.  My 1937 Cadillac series 60 Opera Coupe.  My first prewar Caddy ever-- and I've had a bunch of Cadillacs.