News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Stabilizer Rods

Started by David Rutherford, June 19, 2015, 02:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Rutherford

I have a question for which I cannot find a definitive answer in the Authenticity Manual. Do all 1940 LaSalle's have the two 3/8ths" or so diameter, 4+ foot-long rods which extend from the firewall to the top sides of the radiator mount? My 5219 does NOT have them and pictures of other 1940's under hood vary - some do - some don't.

Assuming I should have them, can anyone steer me toward someone's parts car?
1940 LaSalle Model 5219
1957 Ford T-Bird replica by Camelot
1929 Ford Rdstr Pickup by Camelot

Alan Harris CLC#1513

If it makes you feel better, my 1940 5219 does not have the rods either. I have looked for screw holes where they might have gone and have not found any.

I am convinced that my car never had them.

Tom Boehm

Hello David, Not all 1940 Lasalles had firewall rods. At the 2002 Grand National in Detroit I met Ernie Kay who was an old timer and very knowledgeable about '40 Lasalles. I picked his brain about many things including firewall rods. He estimated that only the first thousand or so on the assembly line had these. So if you can't find the bolt holes on the firewall, don't worry.