News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Automatic transmissions pre THM400

Started by TJ Hopland, June 19, 2015, 06:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

I have become interested in the auto transmissions pre THM 400 which was mid 60's?    I don't want to cloud up current threads asking the general questions so figure would start a new thread. 

So the first autos used in Cadillac was 1941?  So there was a 41-48 transmission then a 49-55?  then 56-63?   What were the basics of each family?   What other GM's used them?  What non GM's used them?   How did the units used by other GM's in the same periods differ?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

J. Gomez

TJ,

Not sure if these links will be allowed to stay, but they do offer a good anecdote on the Hydra-matic, Jeteway, Dynaflow, Turboglide, etc.

http://ateupwithmotor.com/terms-technology-definitions/hydramatic-history-part-1/view-all/

http://ateupwithmotor.com/terms-technology-definitions/hydramatic-history-part-2/view-all/

Enjoy them…!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

TJ Hopland

Just finished part 1.  Very good read with lots of semi technical details that is often missing in history articles.   Some things I had heard before and others had not.

Now on to part 2.     

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

TJ Hopland

That was some good reading and I think pretty much covers all my questions.    Thanks for the link.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Julien Abrahams

Thank you for the links, I really enjoyed reading them. Its always nice to learn something more about the history of car and mechanical development.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett