News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac Park/Emergency brake pedal adjust?

Started by TBZ_57_Series_62, June 23, 2015, 11:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBZ_57_Series_62

My park brake pedal drops slightly when I drive... just enough to trigger the dash light.
How do I adjust it so it will not sag. Is there a spring that needs replacing (or missing) or is there an threaded adjustment?

As always,  thank you for your help

Ted

Roger Zimmermann

Most probably the emergency brake system is not adjusted correctly. I doubt that the car is immobilized if the pedal is pushed to the floor.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

57eldoking

My Seville does this exact thing too, haven't gotten around to take a look at it yet. I thought it was due to a missing return spring on the pedal assembly, at least that's what it feels like.
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT

Walter Youshock

Parking brake adjustment is done under the car.  There's a spring that attaches to the frame and the brake equalizer.  That could be broken.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

TBZ_57_Series_62

The spring is there and seems to be fairly strong. there doesn't seem to be excessive slack in the cables running to the wheels.

Is this the only adjustment that could cause the pedal to fall?
Should these cables be firm with absolutely no slack?

Thanks for your help
Ted

Walter Youshock

They should be rather tight.  How far is the pedal falling?  How are your rear brakes?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dan LeBlanc

I know in the 61 shop manual, it says if three pedal requires more than 3" of travel to engage the parking brake, the adjustment must be performed. 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

TBZ_57_Series_62

Rear brakes seem good... just redid the whole system (booster,  master cylinder, wheel cylinder, etc).
the Park pedal falls only about an inch, but enough to make the dash light come on. Just worried if it will cause the brakes to apply in any way.

Ted

Walter Youshock

Something isn't right.  How was it before the major broke overhaul?  Do you have the shop manual?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

TBZ_57_Series_62

I do have a shop manual,  but it doesn't seem to detail how to fix this exactly.  the pedal did do this before the overhaul, but i figured it would have corrected after. It does not fall all the time, but with road vibrations it can fall and then it doesn't seem to want to stay up... there's no real tension holding it fully up and i thought a spring or something was missing, but the spring on the area of the adjuster is there.
I'm leaning towards the thought that i don't have the adjustment tight enough. I just didn't want to have it start to apply pressure to the brakes.

Ted

Walter Youshock

It has to be relatively tight.  Have you tried stopping the car with the emergency brake?  If it can't hold the car idling in drive or stop it rolling on a flat driveway, then it needs help.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Walter Youshock on June 28, 2015, 12:40:19 PM
It has to be relatively tight.  Have you tried stopping the car with the emergency brake?  If it can't hold the car idling in drive or stop it rolling on a flat driveway, then it needs help.
It is what I suggested earlier, but my English has unfortunately limitations...The cables must be tight, but the rear brakes must not be applied. It's quite a balance to find.
I assume that my '57 Brougham brake system is similar to the standard models. If I have to push the main brake pedal before I do release the emergency brake, it does not come competely back to its rest position. On the other side, when the emergency brake is released, the pedal does not come down.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101