News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Deville dashboard badge

Started by lou-q, June 25, 2015, 08:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lou-q

I have to re paint the dash pad for our 67 convertible and would like to take the DeVille badge off.
Does anyone know a way to do this without damaging anything?
Thanks,
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Bill Young

Have You removed the dash board top from the Car?

Julien Abrahams

I believe it is glued. I think that you would need to mask it and then paint the dash upper cover. However, isn't it some kind of vinyl? Why not reupholster with new vinyl instead of painting?
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

lou-q

We had a dash fire and bought a donor car for parts but the dash was a different blue.
I had some vinyl paint made up in the original color and I spoke with the upholstery shop that is re-doing the interior and he said he uses the vinyl paint often with real good results (I think the paint is made by Sims).
Yes the dash pad is off.
Maybe someone that has done will chime in.
Thanks,
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Bill Young

Hello Lou , I had the same problem several months ago , here is the solution. 1. Buy SEM products #39362 SEM Soap. Use this to clean the vinyl dash or door panel etc. that You are going to paint. After, rinse completely and dry it, then 2. Buy SEM products #38343 Vinyl Prep. This step is CRITICAL , spray it on , bathe the panel in this and wipe off with a paper towel , do two applications of this and after the panel is completely dry it will be perfectly clean of any dirt or contaminents and it will feel somewhat softer and will accept the SEM Paint color perfectly now. Apply, spray the paint in light repeated coats , their paint flashes off fast so within an hour you should be able to complete your painting process. Do this and You I believe will be pleased with the results. I Hope this Helps.

lou-q

Bill,
Those are the products I have (SEM not SIM like I said before) and they also mixed the paint color to match the original medium blue.
They (SEM) told me to spray a very light coat of a white primer because I'm going lighter than the original which I ordered from them also.
I would like to remove the DeVille badge that is over the glove box area but I'm afraid, so I'm waiting to see if I get a responce.
Thanks,
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Bill Young

Lou , I would not be afraid to mask off the badge with blue painters tape after doing all other preparation. You might be surprised how you can paint the dash with the badge carefully masked off and once the tape is removed no one would be able to tell you did not remove it.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Lou.

On pre '67 dashes, the trim items were assembled with some sort of fastener evident on the back side.  If there's nothing there, its safe to assume that adhesive was used.  If you have the old dash try and pry it off to be certain.. If the old dash is gon,e get a quart of Afta from Home Depot. Its an adhesive solvent that works for most "sticky" adhesive. Apply a few drops and let it work. Its a standard material in upholstery shops and will not damage the vinyl. If that doesn't work follow Bill's advise and mask it off.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon