News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Door hinges for a 1970 deville - same as other full size cars?

Started by chrisntam, June 26, 2015, 07:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Looking to purchase a used set of right side door hinges for my '70 Deville.  Are they the same as Buick, Olds, Pontiac & Chevy full size cars?  Want to re-bush them then do the install.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

Chris,

I think that they are the same, but cannot be 100%.  I bought mine on e-bay and you could tell by pictures that they would work.  The bushings and pins are still sold by GM dealers, so these hinge designs were used for many years for many GM cars.  Plus USA parts sells the pins and bushings too.

If you buy used hinges replace the pins and bushings, paint and install.  The improved no sag is so worth it.  usually the bottom hinge wears out first.

Check out my one man door hinge replacement jig.  The legs have washing machine leveling feet from HD.  The door is clamped in to the jig with a strap and the feet are adjusted so that door is supported.  Carefully mark position of door hinge on door and body.  Then without removing the door panel or any electric, unscrew the hinges at the door and slide the door one or two inches away so the hinge to body bolts can easily be removed.  Install the new hinge to body in exact same position as it was.  Slide the door over to the hinge and it should be in same position as it was, adjust feet if needed, and screw in the hinge to door bolts.  Remove jig and slowly carefully close the door watching fender clearance, then clearance at door jam.  Mine closed perfect on first try.  This only takes about an hour a door if you take your time.  Way better than removing door panel and electric then getting Bubba to hold the door for you while you deal with bolts the bolts. 

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

Bruce,

Thanks, only works on 69 and 70 Caddies.  Each jig is specific to the door contour for the Cadillac major re-styling, so there would be a 67-68, a 65-66, a 63-64, a 61-62, and maybe a 71-76 (doors are similar).  You get the idea.  There are a lot of 1970 and 69 Cadillacs out there, 1970 is the 5th most collected year plus it is probably the year undergoing the most restoration work currently.  1941 is the most collected year, but most of those are all restored. 

To make one you open the door and trace out the counter on a sheet of plywood and start to work with the jig saw.  I had to cut angle iron into short lengths, drill, and tap a thread to make the adjustable feet.

Bill Young

Scot , Do You have the numbers as to what is the most collected Years to the least that You would share ?

Scot Minesinger

Bill,

That info was in the self starter, maybe I got that wrong and the 70 DeVille convertible is 5th most collected model and year, but 1970 was in top ten for sure.  I think 76 was another big year and the 76 Eldorado convertible was way up there like in top three collected year/model Cadillac.  This was the self starter earlier in 2015.