News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 Cad front fender chrome question?

Started by Ken Perry, July 03, 2015, 12:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Perry

I am wrking on a 58 Cad coupe,my question is, is there two different styles of chrome that go on the front edge of the fender? I am talking about the piece that is the continuation of the hood lip chrome. The car I'm working on has a streight cut one on the drivers side where it meets the hood lip chrome and on the pass side,it angles toward the center of the car. The hood chrome is streight ? Is there a early and late style or do they all fit bad? I'm a 59 -63 Cad guy,58s are a different beast!  Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

David Greenburg

Ken:

I can't answer your specific question, but the fit of the trim during these years could be abysmal. Alway felt like the side trim on my '59 Fleetwood was badly misaligned until I looked closely at some factory photos and saw the same issues. I doubt '58 was any better.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

cadparts58

Ken,
Yes there were two different styles of that trim. I would have to look up when the design change was made(it may be in a serviceman bulletin). One style had the pieces canted in and the other style canted out. No idea why they did this. My only guess would be that if the hood was not adjusted right the hood and fender pieces would rub each other. If you need more info on this, I could look it up this afternoon. Let me know. Thanx Frank
Frank Puma #10721

Jon S

Quote from: Ken Perry on July 03, 2015, 12:04:18 AM
I am wrking on a 58 Cad coupe,my question is, is there two different styles of chrome that go on the front edge of the fender? I am talking about the piece that is the continuation of the hood lip chrome. The car I'm working on has a streight cut one on the drivers side where it meets the hood lip chrome and on the pass side,it angles toward the center of the car. The hood chrome is streight ? Is there a early and late style or do they all fit bad? I'm a 59 -63 Cad guy,58s are a different beast!  Ken Perry

Trying to envision it - could you post pictures?
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Ken Perry

Thanks for the info,I thought that there might have been a change. Yes David there is a lot of fit issues on these cars,just thought this one was way out of line. I will try and post a picture latter today. Ken Perry   
Cadillac Ken

Jon S

Ken -

Are you referring to these two pieces on each side of the hood?

I believe the parts as assembled by the Factory fit quite well.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Ken Perry

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

Jon S

That does look strange!  And the hood gap is very wide.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Ken Perry

Looks like the one on your green 58 are the streight ones. Thanks for posting the pictures. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

Jon S

Quote from: Ken Perry on July 03, 2015, 09:52:59 PM
Looks like the one on your green 58 are the streight ones. Thanks for posting the pictures. Ken Perry

Ken -

Hard to tell. I just went out to the garage and took two shots with hood open. They look slightly angled. Mine is a very late (8/58) production.

Your pieces look a little distorted on the bottom edges and the end piece is not parallel with the grill studs.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT