News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Bleeding the Hydraulic window pump

Started by bullet bob, July 05, 2015, 08:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullet bob

The power windows on my '53 CDV have been inoperative for several years now. Hope there won't be TOO many problems getting them going. Will replace the obvious rubber lines. But I've got 2 questions. 1) Would like to run ATF fluid, and I'm going to have the pump "gone over." But I don't know if there will be internal rubber seals that can be replaced. 2) How do you bleed this system. Is there a bleeder valve? Will probably pull it this week. Thought I'd ask the questions before I got it out. Thanks all. BB
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Bob, I've been running ATF in mine for 12 years now with no problems. Unfortunately, the window and seat pistons are not serviceable. If they leak, replace. The system does not need to be bled. Any air that is trapped will work it's way back to the pump reservoir and will dissipate. It's an open system. Once you get the pump serviced, fill the reservoir, then make sure all the windows are all the way down and the seat is all the way back. Better to have all the inner door panels open before you try to run the system as to spot leaks quickly. Hopefully the pistons will be good. Your doing the right thing by replacing the hoses. Good luck with it.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

bullet bob

Thanks Paul. I never thought about pulling the door panels. Great idea!
On a side note, do you change/replenish the fluid?
  Thanks. BB
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Yes, I've changed it once in all these years. I have no leaks in my system yet. One advantage of using ATF or jack oil in the system is that they're not nearly as hydroscopic as brake fluid is. So you don't end up with a lot of moisture in the system to cause rust. The disadvantage is that if you live in a cold climate, the windows get very sluggish, because cold affects the viscosity of the oil. I'm in New England. When the temp gets down in the 20's, my windows are very slow. They work OK but very slow in both directions. I don't take the car out much that time of year anyhow. I believe that's why Cadillac used brake fluid. The viscosity doesn't change much in the cold.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine