News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Lubing My Eldorado.

Started by BigUgly, July 06, 2015, 10:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigUgly

Hi:
I am Tom from East Central MN. I grew up on a farm in NE North Dakota.
I have an interest in old cars and tractors and own a few.
I am having a hard time greasing my 75 Eldorado Convertible I just purchased.
I would be very interested in hearing from someone that owns a 74-76 Eldorado on such things as removing the front wheels without damaging the hubcaps. I would also like know how many zerks there are and what attachments are need for the grease gun.
I do own a Rotary drive on hoist with which has a slider tray with hydraulic jack.
I have purchased the 74 full size shop manual plus recommended 75 supplement.
I hope you will bear with and understand why I need someone that has recently greased their own
car.
This is my first post I tried searching several times.
I hope that this does not offend anyone and get trashed by a moderator.
Thanks much Tom aka BigUgly

99 Concours 77,000 Bought New
75 Eldorado Convert 105,000 Bought 4/15
51 Willys 4x4 Super Hurricane 6 1Ton Pickup
47 Willys CJ2A
49 Olds 2 dr Coupe
98 FLSTC Heritage Classic

TJ Hopland

Really is nothing unusual about the Eldorado.   Fittings are pretty much in the same places as most cars.    I have done mine with straight fittings both on the usual slightly bent rigid pipe and with a flex hose.  These cars are hard on lower ball joints so be sure to keep up on those.   The rest of the stuff seems to hold up reasonably well.   

I also have not had issues with hubcaps.   They are a little different than most in that they grab that very outer lip of the wheel rather than the flat portion a little further in.   They do require different weights if you use clamp on weights and want to place them on the outside.  The weights have a little extension on them to give clearance for the hubcaps.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

BigUgly

TJ:
Thanks much for the info.
I will switch back to the rigid pipe from the flex rubber hose, don't care much for that hose but my Alco Metalube is only in one gun that I use. I thought for sure I was going to take off the right front wheel.
Also appreciate the heads up on the hub caps as they are all in excellent condition.
My fender fillers on the rear appear to be original; what is left of them. I have gotten the replacements but have yet to get the paint. I may have some more questions on those when I get to that project. They came in primer dark grey. My car is Cotillion White.
Thanks Again.
Tom
47 Willys CJ2A
49 Olds 2 dr Coupe

76eldo

Just use a screw driver to pry gently in a few places and the caps will pop off.

Since the valve stem fits into one of the slots and does not have a dedicated opening, you may want to make a chalk mark to put it back on the way it came off.  Do not mix them from wheel to wheel.  The reason is that the tabs are clinging to the very outer part of the rim and you want to make sure that they go back on and are tight.  Once you bang them back on try to pull them off by hand.  If you can, the cap is too loose and you need to bend the tabs to make them grip tighter.

Make sure that the valve stem is centered in one of the openings and not being bent to the side.  The vale stems have rubber washers that can dry out over time and then they leak.  They are still available at NAPA so I would grab a few to keep around as spares.

If you remove the wheels you can inspect the front axle boots a bit easier, and of course check the front brakes.

Good luck with the car and welcome to the message board.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

Speaking of valve stems that reminds me that if you change or mess with them you need to check the clearance with the brake caliper up front.   They are very close to the brake caliper so it does not take much of a bend in the wrong direction for them to hit and when they hit it does not take long from them to rub through and leak.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

BigUgly

Brian & TJ:
Thanks much guys; I better start a easy find note book on this car. At my age I still have a pretty fair memory, but the recall sucks. It can take from only minutes to some times weeks to remember where I put something.
Have A Good One:
Tom
47 Willys CJ2A
49 Olds 2 dr Coupe

76eldo

I always recommend getting a factory shop manual for your car.
They are always on eBay and usually fairly cheap, like 25-30 bucks.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

BigUgly

Brian:
I did purchase the shop manual, I was told to get the 1974 which I did. Then they sell you the 75 supplement or whatever which I also bought. I then purchased a convertible top manual and read it before operating the top. The the top functions good and appears to have recommended clearances. That  will require quite a bit more study to determine if all those adjustments are centered.
It sure drives nice and the sensation is quite a bit different feeling than that of my 99 Concours which is in great shape.
That big boat takes the hills without down shifting and the only noise you hear is the wind with the top down.
Torque beats horsepower for a relaxing ride. It will pass cars well enough so that you feel comfortable on two lane highways.
Thanks again.
Tom
47 Willys CJ2A
49 Olds 2 dr Coupe

76eldo

Out of all the cars I have a really enjoy driving my 76 Eldo convertible the most.

It does have a unique ride and feel and once you get used to the understeer it's an awesome ride.

Enjoy your car!!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Gene Beaird

Tom,

If those fender fillers are aftermarket, you'll want to fit them before paint.  They usually don't fit well, and require some work to make them look just okay.  You'll want to get all that done before painting them, though.  It's kind of sad that we only have a couple of sources for these things, but both are not that good.

Oh, and the flex hose should be fine.  I have them on all three of my grease guns.  No problems from them, but the guns are so old they do leak a bit.   ;)

Quote from: BigUgly on July 07, 2015, 03:09:05 AM
TJ:
Thanks much for the info.
I will switch back to the rigid pipe from the flex rubber hose, don't care much for that hose but my Alco Metalube is only in one gun that I use. I thought for sure I was going to take off the right front wheel.
Also appreciate the heads up on the hub caps as they are all in excellent condition.
My fender fillers on the rear appear to be original; what is left of them. I have gotten the replacements but have yet to get the paint. I may have some more questions on those when I get to that project. They came in primer dark grey. My car is Cotillion White.
Thanks Again.
Tom
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

bill06447

I have found when installing the wheel covers, position so the wider gaps in the "teeth" are over a wheel weight; they go on easier this way. Also don't forget to repack the front and rear wheel bearings; I noticed while dismantling a 76 vert that one front bearing was dry and rough from lack of grease.

Bill

TJ Hopland

The front wheel bearings are in theory sealed and not meant to be serviced.   The GMC RV people have come up with a way to fit grease fittings into the knuckle so they can be greased.    Rears are like typical front wheels.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV