News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

hood cable adjustment for 1971 Fleetwood

Started by Brett Moore, July 07, 2015, 05:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett Moore

Hey folks,

I searched but (surprisingly) I didn't see anything about adjusting the hood cable on my 71 Fleetwood Brougham.  Right now opening the hood is a two-person affair. It requires my pulling the hood release while a friend pulls up on the hood itself.

I would imagine I can adjust it instead of just replacing the cable.  Any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks,

Brett

Scot Minesinger

Yes, it is not really adjustable but you can make it so easily as I had the same issue on a 72 Eldorado.  There is a plastic piece that secures the cable to the lever under hood.  I made an "L" shaped bracket that bolts to the lever in a pre-drilled factory hole that has a slot so the cable tension can be adjusted as the cable stretches over time.  Worked super nice.

I'm at the beach on vacation, returning this coming weekend.  Let me know if you want me to send a picture.  This is about a half hour job-very easy.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

There is no actual adjustment, but what you are experiencing is a weak push-up spring.

This spring is there to the right of the lock to push the hood up when the catch is released.

What I did was to place a shocker rubber on the top of the front fender crossmember so that the spring sat on this to increase pressure.   I didn't even have to glue it in place, as it just sits there, and somehow doesn't move when the hood is up.

Saves buying a replacement spring, and if your car is a show car, then the piece is easily removeable for shows.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Brett,
It sounds as though you MIGHT have an issue with the hood pop up spring. If when you pull the hood release the hood lock disengages, the adjustment should be correct.  Once the hood lock is "opened" the hood pop up spring will raise the hood enough to allow the safety catch to be released.  These hoods are heavy, and the springs get tired. The Cadillac hood spring is substantially stronger than the generic one that I see being sold as a "fits all". I bought a few of them years ago when I had the same problem you are having, and at the first sign of a "reluctant" hood a new spring usually solves it.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

G'day Bruce,
"Great" minds think alike.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

35-709

I carry a small spring loaded clamp in my '73 that I clamp around the hood opening rod the handle is attached to to hold the rod and cable all the way out while I get out of the car and open the hood normally.  Pretty much eliminates having to have 2 people to open the hood.  Then of course I forget the clamp is there when I close the hood and, no surprise, it will not latch all the way down.  So, once again I call on my 73 year old back to lift that hood one more time, go around and remove the clamp and make sure the release handle goes all the way in, then I go back to the front of the car and close the hood.   ::)

Really got to get a new spring one of these days.  Seems to me someone here mentioned a while back that a Chevy van hood spring was a little stronger and worked well.  Of course I didn't need one at the time and don't find that posting in my searches.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

beastly beauties

I go with Bruce and Greg on this one. Try finding a piece of rubber to put on the end of the spring where it touches the radiator support. Possibly an old hood adjustment bumper would work well. Also remove the spring from the hood and secure the open end of it in a vice and try to stretch out the spring using a pry bar between the coils. Also place some white grease around opening of the "catch" area of the hood to allow the hood to clear the latch assembly a little easier.  Good Luck,  David Symonds

Why not just get a new spring?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille