News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Phaeton's

Started by g27g28, July 08, 2015, 12:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g27g28

I just read the article in the July Self Starter on 78-79 Phaeton's and I have some questions.  I own a white 78 Coupe and am a big fan of these cars.  The author says that possibly no 78 sedans were made.  Has anyone ever seen one?  I am pretty sure that my car has a sticker on the drivers door that says it was modified by American Sunroof Corp.  Did ASC do the early tops and then Cadillac took over for 79?  The author says that for 79 all Devilles had aluminum hoods.  I thought only Sedans got them and I think only the ones produced in CA had them.  Is that correct?  He said that at least 3 black cars exist, does anyone know of one or have pics?  No mention was made of the silver car in the photos.  Anyone know the mileage or anything about it?  In the early 80s I saw a 79 Sedan Phaeton with a diesel engine driving down the street, how rare would that one be today.  I just wish the author would have done a more in depth article. 
Thanks
Greg
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I also read the article with interest and here are my comments:

I have communicated with the author on the matter of the aluminum hoods. To the best of my knowledge, they were installed on Fleetwood Broughams only and only in the 1979 model year. This coincides with my own observations: Of the many '79 C body Cadillacs I have owned, only the Fleetwood Brougham had an aluminum hood.

The author seemed open to the possibility- more or less- that he may have been error on the point of the aluminum hoods in the article. I also suggested he use a magnet to determine whether the hood on his '79 Phaeton is aluminum or not. (I believe the silver car is his.)

Would be interested in knowing the final answer to the question of aluminum hoods in 1979 if anybody knows for certain.

To my knowledge ASC was subcontracted for all factory issued "Roadster" or "Phaeton" type roof installations from 1978 and beyond - but again my knowledge of these editions is limited.

I cannot comment on the Coupe/Sedan availability for Phaeton in 1978.

I would enjoy seeing a specially ordered 3x black Phaeton Coupe!

Someday I would like to see an in depth article on "Tri 7" Cadillac (exc Eldorado & Seville). It is my prediction and belief will be the next Cadillacs to surge in value in a significant way. (Mainly Coupes in desirable color combinations).
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Michael J. Cascio

All 1979 Fleetwoods and California Sedan DeVilles had an aluminum hood. This can be signified by a large A stamped under the hood next to the latch.
-Mike

Quote from: Michael J. Cascio on July 08, 2015, 04:14:07 PM
All 1979 Fleetwoods and California Sedan DeVilles had an aluminum hood. This can be signified by a large A stamped under the hood next to the latch.

Not including Fleetwood Limousines - correct?

g27g28

Thanks I knew you guys could answer the questions I had.  That second sedan in biege has either been repainted or special ordered as that isn't one of the combos offered. 
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

Yes, factory "Full Cabriolet Roof" was available on Eldorado & Seville from 83 - 85 to be precise. (ASC)

Dave,

What was the necessity of ASC to contract 76 - 78 Biarritz (hardtops)?

Seems odd...

Dan LeBlanc

I'm getting quite an education on these cars thanks to you guys.  I must say, I quite like them.  Seems like they would be a fantastic touring car.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

936CD69

ASC did sunroofs and all the Phaeton tops on 85-93 deVille/Fleetwoods as well. They had a plant contiguous to Orion Assembly. David's observation about telling an ASC from an aftermarket top was true on these cars as well, no fake boot snaps on the "factory" tops. The Series 75s and 87-88 Sixty Specials were partially assembled at Orion, shipped to Madison Heights for the stretch work, then back to Orion for final finish. As far as my research can confirm these were the only "factory" mods used by Cadillac on the "C" cars.
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Barry M Wheeler #2189

My wife's '79 Fleetwood has a steel hood... I believe that only CA cars had aluminum hoods to help with weight/mpg issues.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

The '79 Fleetwood Brougham that I owned had an aluminum hood with the letter "A" stamped on the reinforcement panel on the underside of the hood.

Broughams were exclusively built at Clark Avenue.

Barry, if your hood does not have the "A" and you are absolutely certain the hood had never been replaced, I would very much like to know.

Thanks,
Eric