News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Parts - Made in USA or China?

Started by chrisntam, July 09, 2015, 08:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

I'm gathering parts for the brake job on my '70 Deville from Rock Auto.  Wheel bearings, friction parts, hardware and hydraulics.  As we all are, I'm concerned about parts made overseas.  Timkin wheel bearings show made in the USA, as does the brake hardware.   I find that the front pads are made in China as are the wheel cylinders.  The box on the cylinders say they are made in China, but cast in the cylinder itself, it says Made in USA.  Not sure what to make of this.  Bendix & Raybestos used to be top quality brands back in the '80s.  Should I be concerned or, like when I was in college, just go with it.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

jagbuxx #12944

I go out of my way in everything I purchase to avoid a made in China item. I prefer to keep my $$ in the Western Hemisphere if at all possible. It appears your items are from quality names with U.S. foundations so I can't say they would be sub quality but if there would be an alternative manufactured location, that would be my selection...
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

gary griffin

I saw an expose' on television about fake Chinese imports. Even had Crest toothpaste with anti freeze in it.  Many patented products are made in China with made in USA labels also. 

In addition to that American companies are reaching out and having products made in China. Some may be good products manufactured to high standards and some may not be so good. I personally do not like to take unnecessary chances, so I avoid Chinese products as much as is possible.

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bill Young

I Myself prefer to remove the original part from my car and send it out to be rebuilt. That way I end up with a genuine GM part thats  like new that I know will fit because I took it off. Also I communicated with the rebuilder and there is accountability. One mans opinion.

Gene Beaird

Yeah, but in the case of a rebuilt wheel cylinder, you'll end up with Genuine GM Parts(TM) but everything inside, pistons and seals, could still be Chinese!

That packaging is kind of confusing.  I suspect they have just printed all of their current labels with the 'Made in China' source, but many boxes could be filled with old stock from different vendors.  Still, that particular part could really be a Chinese copy, down to the 'Made in USA' cast into the side.  You don't know whether to use the part confident in the fact that you have a US part, or condemn Raybestos' quality control.  I'd find a Chinese-cast wheel cylinder with 'made in usa' in the casting concerning. 

But I'd bet the fine print of any of our import treaties would say they can do that.  :-/

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

savemy67

Hello Chris,

I have had to consider the "made in China" issue recently myself.  I bought brake parts from Rock Auto.  Everything was advertised as new, and I believe the products are new.  I did have some concerns about the front wheel cylinders I bought for my '67 Sedan DeVille (see High School Reunion with 1967 Sedan DeVille in the Restoration Corner section of this forum).

If you have not installed the new cylinders, try to determine where the old cylinders were made.  There may be a part number that you can research.  Also, compare the fit, finish, and machining quality of the old cylinders and the new cylinders.  Does the new cylinder fit properly in the backing plate?  Do the attaching bolts thread smoothly into the new cylinders?  Does the port for the brake line and fitting in the cylinder line up with the line and the fitting?  Does the bleeder screw look identical?  Is it English or metric?  Do the internals of the cylinder seem to operate correctly?  Do the boots fit well?  If the new cylinder doesn't compare well with the old, you may want to try another vendor, or rebuild your old cylinders.

The fact that the box in which the cylinder came indicated made in China, and the casting indicated made in USA, tells me that either the casting was made in the USA and sent to China as a used or new casting and then machined and assembled with new internals, or the casting is cast in China with a mold that contains "made in USA".  In both cases consumers are left with nagging doubts about the origin and quality of critical parts.  Perhaps the CLC Board of Directors would consider sending a letter to Rock Auto and Raybestos, Bendix, etc. requesting an explanation.  Good luck with your car.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

David Greenburg

Another option for wheel cylinders would be to get your originals sleeved with stainless steel.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Bill Gauch #23121

My guess is that the cylinder is actually Made in the USA. The internals and assembly probably happened in China. The other possibility is that it is NORS which is entirely made in China to original specs., including the 'Made in the USA' slogan. Personally, I don't have the same aversion to Chinese-made parts, especially steel parts. So, if it looks alright and comes from a quality brand, I would just go with it if the price is right. And, if it makes you feel better, the steel in the cheap Chinese-made parts probably comes from millions of crushed and melted down American cars from a few years ago when steel scrap prices skyrocketed. Although, typing that makes me sad. :)
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

Bobby B

Unfortunately, Almost every aftermarket part is somehow tied to the Chinese Market, and I will be the first one to agree that most of it is junk due to inferior metal quality. You just cannot get around it, so you have to decide what's right for you. As far as I know, there's not one brake rotor that's manufactured in the states. That's why you need to change them with almost every pad change. I just purchased some Brembo rotors for one of our vehicles, and yes, it was made in China. Believe it or not the quality control must be decent. Runout less than .0001". Not bad for a Italian product manufactured in China.…….Moog, Raybestos, etc……Made in China.
                                                                Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

bill06447

Once a week I find myself at a former Hyatt/New Departure bearing plant. A million square feet of present-day warehouse that used to manufacture bearings by the millions. A decade or so ago I watched them raze the former Fafnir Bearing plant in New Britain, CT; it took them a year to clear the three city blocks it once encompassed.

Today's is a global market. Sad to say I've had crap parts with the Made in USA label, and Chinese stuff that rivaled OEM. The only reason GM saved Buick over Olds and Pontiac was because the marque is big in China.  I guess it all depends on the engineering and plant oversight. The last Timken bearing I used was made in Poland...today I prefer SKF if I have a choice (oem in new GM products)

Bill

(soap box put away)

chrisntam

I called Raybestos this am and long story short, he said, based on the vehicle the cylinder is going on, that it was likely an old wheel cylinder that was re-boxed.  He said he doubts there have been any new cylinders for this car made overseas and they are still going through their old stock.

He also said the items built in China now are done in Raybestos owned factories, run by Raybestos people.  It gave me some confidence.

As a side note, I used to work in an independently owned auto parts store from 1978 to 1991 and there were plenty of items returned to us as being defective.  That was way before the "China" days.  We would label the boxes of the defective parts "NFG".   ;D  Anyone want to guess what that means?   ;D  It was a bunch of doods in their late teens & 20s having loads of fun, all while looking in the catalogs ordering hot rod parts for our cars.   8)  Learned a helluva lot there. 
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Gene Beaird

Heh, I did that, too, only started about 3 years before you did.  Worked my way through college working there.  GREAT fun, and the employee discount (and time to climb through the paper catalogs (remember those?) provided me with a wealth of options when rebuilding my 71 Trans Am for autocross racing, as well as keeping the family fleet running.

Yes, I know what 'NFG' is, and the 'FNG' got to sweep the floors.   ;D

Quote from: chrisntam on July 09, 2015, 10:00:58 PM
<SNIP>

As a side note, I used to work in an independently owned auto parts store from 1978 to 1991 and there were plenty of items returned to us as being defective.  That was way before the "China" days.  We would label the boxes of the defective parts "NFG".   ;D  Anyone want to guess what that means?   ;D  It was a bunch of doods in their late teens & 20s having loads of fun, all while looking in the catalogs ordering hot rod parts for our cars.   8)  Learned a helluva lot there.
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873