News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

paint formula

Started by Ghebert, July 12, 2015, 08:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghebert

I want to know if someone have the formula to mix the paint in a base coat clear coat for a 1955 Cadillac the code #40 CAPE IVORY,I'm from Canada and I can find this formula,I needs help to complete my restoration.Thanks Guy

Marcel75

Can't help you but this is a nice pic:

Dan LeBlanc

Guy

Call Gerry Arsenault at Car Quest in Saint John - 633-4140.

If he can't mix it, nobody here in NB can.  I even gave him a formula number for the correct Cadillac engine blue and his mix was a dead match to an original sample I had.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Belgium1958owner

Does it exist a chart with modern formula to match original colors ?
I'm looking for paint formula for 1958 Cadillac.
Thanks.
1958 Eldorado Seville, body 481
1956 Eldorado Seville, body 1968
1958 Eldorado Seville, body 612 (parts car)
Member of : 1958 Cadillac Owner Association
CLC # 29119
1956 Packard Four Hundred Coupe, body 3002
1956 Packard Caribbean hardtop, body 81

Dan LeBlanc

The formula for paint varies by manufacturer based on their specific tint, so there is no "one size fits all" formula for a particular colour.

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

J. Gomez

DuPont automotive paints (now Axalta) has a historical paint chip library -> http://historicalcolorlibrary.axaltacs.com/hcl/

It may be possible for your paint supplier to match the old DuPont formula with modern ones from Axalta or PPG or others.  ???

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Jay Friedman

My 1935-55 Master Parts List shows for '55 Code 40 Cape Ivory a Dupont color code of 2077 and an R & M (another paint manufacturer) color code of L-21 V020.  Also the wheels should be Alabaster Grey whose corresponding Dupont and R & M codes are 2073 and L-21 A031, respectively.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

goofyhb

Hello,
I used paintref to check out the alternative manufacturers. The GM documentation says that they used RM (Rinshed Mason) mainly in 1955. So you can read a earlier post by searching "1955 Cadillac Cape Ivory paint code". There you will find a link to the RM color explorer online tool. This can bring up your formula in PDF format if required. RM is now part of BASF. So you need to find a BASF supplier who can use the formula. Good luck! Please keep us updated!
The tool does not hold the formula for all colors of that year and especially the interior colors are hard to find. So if anyone knows what formula to use for Minuet Blue and Countess Blue, please let me know.
Regards
Axel
P.S.: Please check also the attachments for mixtures of Rogers and your RM formula.
1955 Series 62 Sedan http://bit.ly/1Ri914p
1949 Buick 56S
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Fleetwood