News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Do you guys use an electronic buffer?

Started by CadillacMac, July 13, 2015, 05:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacMac

I've got an orbital buffer I was nervous to try, but it seems to have done a good job.  My only question is this: using this thing with a liquid cleaner-wax on a 10-year-old paint job, there was definitely a bit of paint on the pad when I was done.  Is this OK, what happens with normal use on an older paintjob?  Or do I need to return this thing and stop being lazy/trying to pretend to be a pro?
“Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine. Ain't nowhere else in the world where you can go from driving a truck to a Cadillac overnight.”
― Elvis Presley

76eldo

When you use a buffer with any kind of compound or cleaner wax you are removing a bit of the dead and oxidized paint on the top layer.  If the paint is lacquer or single stage enamel you will have some color residue on the pad.

On a base coat - clear coat paint job the top layer is clear so you should not have color on your pad.

Some of the newer dual action slower buffers make it almost impossible to harm your paint.  Just be careful on any sharp body lines and edges so you don't buff through.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

CadillacMac

Thanks Brian! I've got this guy, shouldn't be TOO intense...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-10-in-Orbital-Buffer-Tool-Only-P435/205975768

But it is a 10-year-old Maaco paint job I suspect.  (I think the garage I took it to farmed the job out to Maaco.)  I imagine it's safe to assume there's no base coat/clear coat on my car!
“Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine. Ain't nowhere else in the world where you can go from driving a truck to a Cadillac overnight.”
― Elvis Presley

Jon S

Doubt that could do much harm.  It's an orbital buffer; not a high speed polisher.  I've used those years ago on my Pontiacs, but have never used one on the Cadillac.  That gets hand glazed/waxed only.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Dan LeBlanc

I have a Meguiars dual action polisher.  Love it.  I've had orbitals before and still like to use them for regular maintenance, but, for putting on a shine, the DA polisher is the way to go.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

D.Yaros

I get good use out of my Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher.  Highly recommend it!
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

The Tassie Devil(le)

I purchased one of those Maguire polishers, and after a short time, tossed away the batteries and hooked up a lead to the terminals and hook it straight to the vehicle's battery via alligator clips.   Can work all day (Virtually) without having to constantly stop to re-charge the batteries.

I run a thirty foot lead, and it will allow me to go anywhere around the biggest of cars, and my boat.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   You know when it is hooked up the wrong way as the pad will undo itself if turning backwards.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Walter Youshock

I got a used Black & Decker professional series circular polisher about 20 years ago when I had to wet sand the '57.  It owes me nothing.  There's more miles on that buffer than all my cars combined.  This year, I had to change the cord and get a set of brushes. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

1954 Fleetwood Series 60 Special

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on July 13, 2015, 09:36:03 PM
I purchased one of those Maguire polishers, and after a short time, tossed away the batteries and hooked up a lead to the terminals and hook it straight to the vehicle's battery via alligator clips.   Can work all day (Virtually) without having to constantly stop to re-charge the batteries.

I run a thirty foot lead, and it will allow me to go anywhere around the biggest of cars, and my boat.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   You know when it is hooked up the wrong way as the pad will undo itself if turning backwards.

In Australia we call that Aussie ingenuity, in America they call it Redneck. LOL

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Chris Conklin

Doesn't it always spin backwards down under?  :D
Chris Conklin