News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1949 Cadillac front defroster/heater removal

Started by STEVE CLC #16187, July 15, 2015, 09:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVE CLC #16187

Hi, my heater control valve is leaking and I need to remove the the front heater/defrost unit on my 49 Cadillac. Looks like it comes out from the firewall. I looked in the 49 official service manual and there is nothing on the removal or anything for that matter. It must have its own service manual. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

steve hales
steve hales
clc # 16187

Bob Schuman

Steve,
My 49 has the same problem. It looks easy to remove the assembly from the engine side of the firewall, but anything but easy to do the necessary disconnects of cables, wires etc. underneath the dash to allow removal. I would be interested in whatever you may learn about the removal procedure.
Bob Schuman, CLC254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

STEVE CLC #16187

Thanks guys for the information, art as for as the hose leaking it couldn't be that because it only leaks when I turn on the heater defroster. You ask why I was using my heater/ defroster in the summer? I wasn't, I barley touched the defrost lever when I got out the car and when I came back there was antifreeze down by the gas pedal . I pushed the levers up dare and it quit leaking . I don't take much movement to turn on the valve. I would like to find out where the R&R is printed so I can fix it. I have a 49 service manual and it don't even show the heater/defroster . I am sure it comes out on the fire wall side but trick is to disconnect all the levers,cables and such.  I guess I will have to just start pulling it out and see how that goes , can't figure out why nobody else has has had this problem on a 49 .
steve hales
clc # 16187

STEVE CLC #16187

Thanks 49er, I looked under the dash when it was leaking and can see antifreeze dripping off the bottom of the heater valve, but that don't mean the valve is leaking . Hard to tell about antifreeze leaks , they drive you crazy trying to figure out where they come from. Thanks again  for information.

Steve
steve hales
clc # 16187

Jeff Hansen

Steve,

The only place I can think of where you might find information on this would be in an issue of The Cadillac Serviceman.  The May 1948 issue has a large article on the 1948 heating system but I do not know if this is the same for 1949. 

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Jeff Hansen

Sorry, I had to step away before I could finish my last post...

Steve, I'm willing to scan and email you the May 1948 article I referenced if you think it would help you.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Jay Friedman

Steve, I have a copy of the The Cadillac Serviceman of April 1949 in which there is an article entitled "Servicing The 1949 Automatic Heating System" which may be of help to you.  I don't have a scanner, but if you send me a separate email to jaysfriedman@yahoo.com with your snail mail address I'll mail you a photocopy. 

I've never had to remove my own '49's heater so can't be of any more assistance.  So, if the article doesn't answer your questions, as '49er suggests you might want to try Art Gardner (agardner@gardnergroff.com) or Joe Cutler (49caddymanemail addresses not permitted) or Jeff Maltby.  I don't have an email address for Jeff but remind me in your email and I'll send you the phone number I have for him.

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

STEVE CLC #16187

steve hales
clc # 16187

Jeff Maltby 4194

My FB had an occasional drip since purchased in 87. I removed it when the clip was off so much easier but pull the blower off and have a look at the radiator, which was were my leak was from.  Mine was a "tight fit" removing with one outside pulling and me inside pushing.

I'll add to this soon with more pictures and banter.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

STEVE CLC #16187

Jeff, thank you very much for the pics and information. With yours and Jays help I just might get this thin fixed And yes ,it could be the heater core I will find out when I get it out. The heater core is cheaper than the heater valve repair if I let someone do it. I have repaired the Ranco valve on The old Chevy Trucks  but don't know much about the Cadillac.
steve hales
clc # 16187

FabCad

Hi Steve,

I just rebuilt my entire heater system about 3 or 4 months ago. To remove it, you need to do the following:

1. Unhook the electrical connections under the dash. I think there are only two wires, a fused power source, and a wire to your underseat heaters.

2. Detach the two control levers.

3. Unscrew the metal bracket holding the thin copper capillary tube in place.**

4. In the engine compartment, remove the heater hoses from the bottom of the unit. 

5. Remove all the bolts attaching the unit to your firewall. There's a rubber gasket between the heater unit and the firewall. Mine had somehow sealed the unit to the firewall, so I had to pry it off. (You can buy a replacement here: http://www.steelerubber.com/heater-gasket-70-0448-31)

6. Once you get everything removed and the unit free, start to pull it out gently. You'll see a vent cable attached to the side of it. Unscrew and release this.

**MOST IMPORTANT THING: make sure not to pinch or break the thin copper capillary tube. If you damage this, your heater valve will be useless. Best to have somebody on the inside helping guide the unit out.

Once you get the unit out, you can remove the two heater valves. I sent mine to Jim Tucker: http://www.heatercontrolvalve.com/. I think it was about $250 to rebuild both valves.

Hope that helps.

Fab
1948 Sedanette
1949 Convertible
1950 Convertible
1957 Biarritz
1960 Convertible

Jay Friedman

Fab, great job and great write-up.  Why don't you try to post it on the www.1949cadillac.com web site.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

FabCad

Thanks, Jay. That site seems to be down. I'll check again in a day or two...
1948 Sedanette
1949 Convertible
1950 Convertible
1957 Biarritz
1960 Convertible

Dale Less

I will post it on the site.  The issue with the hosting service has been resolved and the 1949cadillac.com is back up.
1949 Cadillac Series 75 7 Passenger http://bit.ly/1KbBKW0