News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Re: 59 coupe window washer

Started by grandads59, July 15, 2015, 12:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandads59

In an earlier question I asked if the window washer bottles are round or square.  apparently from the answers the bottles are to be round.  why is the bracket which the bottle fits into square I'm at 59 coupe.

Thanks
     Jon hartwell

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The jar is cylindrical; the bracket is square.

Not a direct closeup of the washer jar but enough to see what the setup looks like.

Thanks.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

59-in-pieces

Jon,
IMHO, it's a matter of physics.
If you want to mount a cylinder - which the bottle is - into another holding device, you might choose another cylinder, or hose clamp device, etc..
But, the holder would need to be tight to the bottle to avoid rattles, and the combination would be subject to differential thermal expansion and contraction - between the bottle and holder, as to risk breaking the bottle.

The more elegant solution offered up by Cadillac was to design the holder to be more or less square.
The more or less aspect, addresses the fact that 2 sides of the square holder are rigid, while the apposing sides are curved and flexible - see pic..

Press the bottle in between the flexible sides downward, and the bottle will not rattle, and the flexible aspect conforms to changes in the contraction and expansion issues - no breakage.

Now before every body and their brother dog piles me, I offer up a pic. of the 47 assembly - square bottle, with a 2 sided hanger arrangement with a screw type adjuster under the bottom to hold it up in place - see pic. (compliments of Bill Ingler's car)
While by 57, the assembly had moved on to the 59 design (round bottle - square bracket), yet mounted on the radiator core support as apposed to the inner fender of the 59, or the firewall of the 47.

VOILA - one man's opinions - guesses - speculations, and maybe others who have cars between 47 and 57 can better identify when the changes occurred, and who are likely more savvy than me, and actually know why the motivation for the design changes.
Oh hell, it could be - it was just cheaper to blow a round piece of glass bottle than a square one.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher