News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Plastic on bustleback Sevilles.

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, July 15, 2015, 10:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I've been replacing the front plastic fillers on my Seville. After hours of trying to align the screws and holes, I came to the conclusion that the metal stiffener is completely redundant with the stiffer material now being used on replacements. I was able to start a couple of screws by hand and get the part aligned correctly much more quickly by leaving this part off. I almost got the RH side installed as well, but I have to trim a small amount from one edge and didn't want to go to the shop that late in the evening for a razor saw. 

Any prospective judges may keep this "missing" part in mind when they are peeking under my car in Sept. I'm not too worried as it's awfully black under there...

It is no fun to crawl around on the ground when you are my age (79). I am going to take a couple of pain pills before I go to bed. The LH one looks good though.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

76eldo

Barry,

You are correct in the assumption that you do not need the metal support when installing the ABS plastic parts.  Drilling out the holes and using washers gives you much more wiggle room when lining these up.

Not an easy job without getting  the car on a lift.

I am about to junk my 85 so if you need more parts, now is the time.

Good luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Hi Brian, and am sorry the guy didn't come through on your car. If your rub strips on the doors are still good, I have a couple, mainly the RF fender and the RR door are a little out of alignment. Like they got mooshed a little when putting them back on after the re-spray. And if the sweep spear doesn't have pits I might consider them.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville