News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Brake booster install question 1970 Deville

Started by chrisntam, July 19, 2015, 08:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Working on going through my brakes, got the replacement booster installed yesterday, is it normal to have to adjust the stoplight switch when installing a new booster?  Seems like there is about a 1/4" less travel for the brake pedal with the new booster(only) installed.  Don't have the MC on it yet, no vacuum to the booster and have yet to go through the rest of the system. I put the battery cable back on and the brake lights are activated.  Just wondering if I already got an issue or not.........Got the booster and MC from MBM brakes.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

I replaced my booster earlier this year along with master cylinder on my 1970 and just followed the shop manual.  Did not even think to check the brake light switch, and they work.  The up position on the brakes is fixed, and when pedal is depressed ever so slightly brake light goes on.  The brake booster replacement with master you are more concerned that the brakes are correctly bled so that the brake pedal does not go too far down.  After you have everything replaced and done, press on the brake pedal slightly to make sure brake lights work, if not then adjust that switch.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

chrisntam

Thanks for chiming in Scot.  As a side note, I am taking your advice on loosening flare nut brake fittings.

1) Penetrating oil / lube
2) Tightest fitting flare nut wrench you can find
3) Sharp rap with a big hammer to break it loose.

It's working so far............

I'll post some pics of my progress in a day or so.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

Here are a few pics:

Looks like these parts (& me) were living on borrowed time.

Got the calipers off, the steel lines are set to be replaced as well.

Having to call Inline Tube, the line set sent was missing two lines, the two lines that connect to the master cylinder.  I was a little stunned my order was short........
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas