News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cartridge vs spin on oil filter?

Started by TJ Hopland, July 19, 2015, 09:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

I have never dealt with cartridge oil filters before, the few engines under my care that were old enough to have em had been converted to a spin on.   The cartridge filter looks to be a decent filter and with the drain plug in the canister it seems like its even a less messy job to change than a spin on.   Is there really a down side to keeping the cartridge?  Do they tend to leak?  Filter was in stock at my local Napa for about the same cost as any other gold class oil filter. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jon S

Spin ons are designed for Full Flow filtering systems; cartridges were not.  I'm from the school of keep things for how they were designed to work.  Cartridges filter the oil just fine.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

dplotkin

Cartridges used on Chevrolet automobiles were also full flow, and changing them often involved an armpit of oil. Don't know if Cadillac used them or if after the bypass canister type they went directly to spin-on's.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Coupe Deville

I know 1960 was the first year of the spin on type filter.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

savemy67

Hello TJ,

My Cadillacs had spin-on filters, but my Chevrolets had cartridges.  I do not think there is a down-side to the cartridge type filter except that my Chevrolets had three pieces to contend with instead of one: canister, cartridge, gasket.  On my Chevrolets, the bolt in the bottom of the canister was not a drain plug.  It was a through-bolt to attach the canister to the block.  When the canister was removed it was important to keep the canister in a vertical position or else you would get an armpit of oil as Dan said.

When I was a poor college student at the University of Minnesota, the price of cartridge filters was less than spin-on filters, and I was pretty faithful when it came to changing the oil and filter every 2000 miles in the old Biscayne.  Some people contend that cartridge filters, being larger than spin-on filters in some cases, actually have more filtering area.  I haven't done any research lately on this topic, but I have heard that cartridges are making a come-back (BMW, Toyota, Chevrolet) for a number of reasons.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Jon S

Cadillac recommended changing the cartridge every other oil change or at 4,000 mile intervals.   I always changed the oil and cartridge at 2,000 miles.

If one uses a suction pump or even a turkey baster, cleaning the old oil out of the housing is quite simple and only requires a paper towel to assure all old oil is removed.  No mess, no hassle.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jay Friedman

I siphon the old oil out of my '49's cartridge filter to a drain pan after removing the old cartridge.  However, it seems that no matter how careful I am with everything, I still manage to get small amounts of oil on the floor or motor.  My wife would say it's just because I'm a slob, but with all the gooey old oil being transferred from one place to another, I think it's inevitable.  I can also drain the old oil from the filter housing's drain plug, but this means putting a funnel under the housing and running a hose from the funnel down to a drain pan under the car which is also a mess waiting to happen. 

I haven't dealt with a spin-on oil filter in some years since my modern car's oil gets changed by a pro, but I think they are less messy.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Jon S

Quote from: Jay Friedman on July 19, 2015, 04:39:18 PM
I siphon the old oil out of my '49's cartridge filter to a drain pan after removing the old cartridge.  However, it seems that no matter how careful I am with everything, I still manage to get small amounts of oil on the floor or motor.  My wife would say it's just because I'm a slob, but with all the gooey old oil being transferred from one place to another, I think it's inevitable.

Next time try a turkey baster and a jar.  It works quite well!

Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Jon S on July 19, 2015, 05:05:21 PM
Next time try a turkey baster and a jar.  It works quite well!
And make sure you wash the baster before putting it back in the kitchen cupboard. ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jon S

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on July 19, 2015, 07:39:19 PM
And make sure you wash the baster before putting it back in the kitchen cupboard. ;)

Bruce. >:D

LOL
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

David Greenburg

I used a small suction gun ( sort of a reverse grease gun) with my '59.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

TJ Hopland

I assume a full flow vs. bypass filter can't be easily converted?   That would require internal plumbing changes to the engine?   The conversion kits I have seen appear to be what looks to be an adapter plate.   I assume these just make a spin on filter fit and don't change how they work?  So if its a full flow it will still be and if it was a bypass its still a bypass?   If its still a bypass wouldn't you want a different filter?   Aren't bypass filters usually different material than the full flow ones?  Or don't they make the conversion plates for bypass systems? 

I remember a late 80's or early 90's GM 4 cylinder that the oil filter was a cartridge that fit into a big cap in the oil pan.  It wasn't my car so I don't remember the details.    My 13 VW TDI is a cartridge.  On that you unscrew a cap from the top and the cartridge lifts out with the cap.   One thing I don't like is if there was crap that was not trapped in the filter it then would be floating loose in the cup which could then get into the in port to the engine.   When I do that one I use my 'mighty vac' to suck all the oil and hopefully crap out of the cup before I drop the new filter in.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason