News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

"Shoring-Up" the Slippery Slope

Started by Greg Powers, July 20, 2015, 02:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Powers

I have read with interest all of the discussion on this forum about the recent decision regarding modified Cadillacs. I must admit that there are many different definitions of modified. Personally I don't consider a coach-built Cadillac of the 1920s or 1930s a modified. In the same manner of thought I don't consider an incorrect hubcap, tire or radio a modified. I think that like most people a modified car is one that has major alteration from it's delivered form, i.e. incorrect engine, transmission, interior, and all manners of modern amenities not available at time of production. I do feel that if the guidelines are clearly drawn and the people involved in the defining of judging standards are clear in their objectives, there should be a way to retain the current preservation standards without confusion. I would like to add that if you have a real interest in this matter contact Bill, our chief judge. Another way of having input in club decisions is to look closely at the individuals you elect to the board  and also find out who represents your region on the board. It is our club and unlike our national politics, you do still have a voice. Thanks for listening - Greg   
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Jay Friedman

I agree with your definition of a modified car, that it has had a "major alteration from it's delivered form".  To me, such cars are no longer "an old car" but one whose outward form resembles an old car but which is, in reality, a modern car.

However, I agree with David Smith, who started the slippery slope thread, as well as other poster, that there are clubs for modified cars and that the CLC should remain true to its founding principles.

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Stinson

Great, lets beat this drum again. Everyone stated their point of view, and in the end we agreed to be congenial CLC members.
Ty Stinson
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Maynard Krebs

The real battle is trying to overcome the massive degree of ignorance out there.

How much does it cost to buy a showroom brochure for the car in question, anyway?   Wouldn't that be a fairly-reliable source of information?   It sure beats a lot of other "sources", IMO.

Greg Powers

I didn't mean to "beat the same drum". The point that I was trying to get across is that every region is represented on the board and we also have national elections. Some of the people who have strong feelings have people from their region representing an opposing view point on the board. They have also elected national representation with opposing viewpoints. As was stated before we have several thousand individual voices that are never heard, so you need to be informed on the people you elect  and select from your regions to be a part of the board. If you want your voice to heard, there is an avenue provided. Take full advantage of it. - Greg   
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Here is an example of modified that appeared at last year's Grand National in Lake George:

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of-the-week/car-week-1953-cadillac-elegante-concept-car

Being there was no Modified Division/Class in which to enter the car, the only option was to register in the regular Primary division where it took First.

Many participants were upset that such a car was judged along side of stock 1950 - 1953 Cadillac in Class P14 for which the Chief Judge took a lot of flack.

The Modified Class (Division?) was thus created to neatly address situations like this thereby creating a fairer playing field for all concerned - both for the owners of stock and modified cars alike.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Walter Youshock

Cars can also be put in as "display only".  I did that in '08 at Cherry Hill because I was judging on show day.  Too stressful to judge and be judged.  Anyway, my car was there and I didn't have to pay the judging fee.

Display is always,a viable option.  Your car is seen and admired as much as anyone else's. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Jay Friedman

I agree with Walter that "display only" is a good option in some circumstances. 

In my case, I bought my '49 more than 30 years ago and had it painted and re-upholstered at that time.  It has won prizes at several Grand Nationals over the years but now the paint is definitely showing its age.  Since I drive the car to GNs I now feel, somewhat analogous to Walter's situation, that because of its diminished state I can no longer both subject it to the rigors of the road and then try to prepare it for judging after arrival.  So, last year at Lake George and this year at Brookfields it was entered for display only.  Nonetheless, at both GNs I still had a good time since just as many people come over to kick tires and I had even more time to admire their cars. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."