News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cool Video of Drive Thru Restaurant in 1952

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, July 23, 2015, 05:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I think that's a 46/47 Cadillac Club Coupe at 1:13 - 1:15

https://vimeo.com/110260174

Enjoy.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

harry s

That is a good one. I agree on the 46/47 fastback and also thought there was a '38 grill in the drive in line. It was just a flash or I was imagining.
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

chrisntam

How they supposed to make money selling burgers & shakes for $0.20????   ::)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

By paying the help $.50 cents an hour. I could buy a White Castle in Chicago  for $.12 cents.
LOL!
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Quote from: harry s on July 23, 2015, 08:16:07 PM
That is a good one. I agree on the 46/47 fastback and also thought there was a '38 grill in the drive in line. It was just a flash or I was imagining.

I was wondering about that one too. (The car at 1:50)

Was thinking that might be a late-30s LaSalle but I don't know those cars well enough to say.

Dan LeBlanc

I looked at it very closely and thought it may be a 38 LaSalle.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Quote from: 49er on July 24, 2015, 04:45:13 PM
Looks to me to be a 36 or 37 not a 38. The side removable panels much larger on a 38. I would think this is a Pontiac. Great footage. Just before the hamburger scene on the very left there appears to be a possible 38 pulling in but only appears for a split second.

Art, I think that's the same car that appears at the very beginning as well. I think both of those and the car 1:50 are all one-in-the-same.

I just spotted another Cadillac. It's only visible for about 1/2 a second. It's a 50-53.

Anybody catch it?

Tito Sobrinho

WOW Eric! Thanks.

You opened a candy jar for me, for I grew up in the late '40s and '50s. It was a trivia game among friends walking to and from school identifying cars on the streets.

The car in question at 1.50 is a 1938 Chevrolet Sedan Master deLuxe . It is missing the right back light and the owner bought a red reflector and installed it in its place.

The other car in question was in the beginning at 0.26 that I identify as being a 1942 Nash. Behind it shows a 1940 Dodge Coupe at 0.28.

I know all of them but I cannot mention it here, since it would not pertain to the Cadillac marque.

I did not see any 1953 automobile.

None of the cars have the hanging dice from the retro mirror. People insist with me that it was common in the '50s ...It was not!
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

chrisntam

So if I go to a current day drive thru, shoot video of cars coming thru, sit on it for 50+ years and then post in on the internet, will people in the future say "ooh, that's an '09 ATS or is that an CTS?"  I don't think so.  What say you?

And the "Zapruder" comment was pretty funny, and sadly, true.   ;D
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Quote from: 49er on July 25, 2015, 09:15:47 AM
    I think its possible. Its not only the cars. Its the casualness of it all. It all looks so good. Feels so good. If the passion for the hobby exist and survives then i would say yes. If it has its day then perhaps not. For us who love baseball we can look at old clips and say, Wow, Kofax, Gibson were great. Mantle was great. But, there are some very very fine ball players today too. I think what im trying to say is, the good ole days....are today!

Indeed Art.

The casualness and the innocence of life at that time. Kids handing out of car windows, no gloves on food handlers, no crosswalks...yet there was a sense of decorum, propriety - even pride that seems to have been lost.

Yes, life was sure different in a lot of ways.

Quote from: Tito Sobrinho on July 24, 2015, 11:12:47 PM
WOW Eric! Thanks.

You opened a candy jar for me, for I grew up in the late '40s and '50s. It was a trivia game among friends walking to and from school identifying cars on the streets.

The car in question at 1.50 is a 1938 Chevrolet Sedan Master deLuxe . It is missing the right back light and the owner bought a red reflector and installed it in its place.

The other car in question was in the beginning at 0.26 that I identify as being a 1942 Nash. Behind it shows a 1940 Dodge Coupe at 0.28.

I know all of them but I cannot mention it here, since it would not pertain to the Cadillac marque.

I did not see any 1953 automobile.

None of the cars have the hanging dice from the retro mirror. People insist with me that it was common in the '50s ...It was not!

Thanks for the corrections. Cars that I have trouble identifying are either very old or very new! lol!

The 50-53 is @ 1:36 where the menu board (white w/red lettering) is shown. Way in the background in the street you'll see a dove gray Cadillac wizzing by (or at least it strongly resembles one). It's only visible for a fraction of a second. 

Tito Sobrinho

Eric:
Very difficult to recognized it, but for sure it is an early  two door hardtop type from GM.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Tpicks55

I agree with Steve.  My wife and I watched the clip and I was just rivited to see the old cars, the cloths worn, hair styles, shoes, and the cost of a burger and fries back then.  Having grown up in that era it was nice to see life as it use to be.  Today cars look alike, people dressed better in public then, and you didn't have to what wonder meat was in your burger.  You have to watch yourself crossing the street else you'll get run over in the cross walk.    It was a great walk through the past Thanks!
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

Jon S

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Maynard Krebs

Quote from: chrisntam on July 23, 2015, 10:47:43 PM
How they supposed to make money selling burgers & shakes for $0.20????   ::)

Well, the dimes, quarters, and half-dollars [remember them?] were made of real SILVER in those days!   This means that those coins then had INTRINSIC value... and kept an unshakable value.   

And if YOU held it, YOU controlled it----not the government with its fiat currency... that owns you.

Maynard Krebs

Here's a significant difference from then to now:  the girls & women were all wearing SKIRTS!!!  Watch this great video again.   Notice???

Man, I get so TIRED of seeing females in slacks ALL the time!   

Maybe it's 'cause I'm pushing 70 y. o. that I remember "how it used to be".   Was Archie Bunker right when he sang, "... girls were girls and men were men..." ?

Well, he was right about their LaSalle, at least.