News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

78 Eldorado Rear Shocks

Started by Jakes, July 24, 2015, 05:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakes

The car has rear Electronic Level Control with air adjustable shocks as standard equip.  I believe they're original.  They seem OK, although a bit of a mild "jolt" when going over road imperfections and the shocks show no leakage.  The ACDelco catalog lists "Air Lift Shock Absorber" kit - Part No. 504-510 for the 77-78 Eldo.  I thought of buying it to have as a spare in case I have problems down the road.  Anyone have any experience with it?  I replaced the leaking front shocks with the KYB-KG4501's and they're great.  Thx for advice.
Paul
'78 Eldo. Custom Biarritz Classic

TJ Hopland

The jolt could be the shocks.   I believe most of them are oil filled so if there is a leak you could get some free movement before it starts damping.   It could also be some other component worn or broken.   

I have not noticed AC shocks listed for that still, if they are still listed I would imagine they are Gabriel or Monroe which both still sell them.  I have used both with mixed results.   Some last a year or two and others last several years and they don't appear to have a simple to read date code.   Sitting on a shelf does not appear to do they any good and other than the amount of dust you don't know how long they have been on a warehouse shelf.   If I put any more on the shelf I was going to try storing them vertical to see if that helps. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

waterzap

I installed a set of coil overs on mine. Never have to worry about leaks again. You can get them on Rock Auto for around $100. They dont have them for the Eldorado, but they have them for the 78 Toronado. Same car. (different engine).
You really only need the air shocks if your springs are sagging. If you put new springs in, you can just use regular shocks.
Leesburg, AL

Jakes

Thx Waldo and TJ for input.  I went ahead anyway and bought the ACDelco 504-510 air shocks on Amazon bc the "price was right".  That's what's shown in the ACDelco parts catalog for 78 Eldo.  Since the car came with Electr. Level Control I thought I'd get the "OEM" shocks as a spare for any future problem before it's no longer made.

I got them yda and was surprised to find that one shock is about an inch longer than the other (the length of the fixed tube housing) and the numbers stamped on the tubes are different (729823 and 729830).  The end of the box that I opened appeared to have been opened before, so I'm suspecting someone did a switcheroo.  But... are they supposed to be different sizes bc of some installation requirement?  Usually in such a case there'd be an R or L stamped on the parts.  Interestingly enough, in my 76-80 GM parts catalog the shock part nos. differ by one numeral, but maybe that's because of the location of the air line fitting, left vs. right.  There's nothing in the shop manual to suggest different sized shocks.  Also, the photo on Amazon and other sources show identical length shocks.  I'm ready to return them to Amazon, but wanted to see if there's a possibility that the shocks are correct after all.  Appreciate any input.   
Paul
'78 Eldo. Custom Biarritz Classic

waterzap

My shocks were the same height. No difference between left and right
Leesburg, AL

TJ Hopland

Mine have all been the same.   I'm thinking that the originals there were 2 fittings on the left? one and a single on the right.  I may be thinking of later models but I know some were that way.  Aftermarket always just had one fitting and you had to put a T in the line.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

I think the original shocks should be replaced.  If they have text on them that reads "Made in USA" they are likely original.

Opened boxes, shocks different lengths, does not sound right.  Shocks have seals in them that can dry out if they are NOS from the 1970's too.  I would go with a recently manufactured set of shocks.  Does your ALC compressor work?  1978 was the first year of electric compressor, rather than vacuum powered - feel blessed in that regard.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty