News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What Year Is This Hub Cap?

Started by Coupe Deville, July 30, 2015, 11:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone.

I would really appreciate it if someone could identify this hub cap for me. I am selling it and I have no idea what year it is off of.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I'm going with 1973 DeVille/Calais.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Smedly

When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

mgbeda

-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Sorry to differ but I do not believe it is correct for 1974 which used a larger crest and the the outer recessed area was ribbed.

It's not even the same as 1971/1972 which was vented turbine vaned style.

It's a one year only cover.

Thanks.

mgbeda

Actually the '74 hubcaps did NOT have the ribs around the outside edge; that was '75 and '76.

I've searched the web to try and find confirmation pictures, but it's very hard to see that detail.  Also plenty of these cars have the wrong year hubcaps.  This is the best picture I could find- a dealer postcard from 1974:

http://www.mclellansautomotive.com/literature/items/cadillac/b5287-cadillac-1974-brochure.php

-mB

P.S. '74 was the first year for the optional "turbine vane" wheel covers, with a separate pot-metal piece inset around the rim, but that's another story.
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610

Hmmm...well we'll have to table the ribbed part (not talking about the optional turbine vaned covers) for the time being but I am certain the '73 hubcap crest was smaller than that on the '74 version.

My first Cadillac was a '73 CdV (back in '81) and clearly remember the larger crest on '74 caps.

Thanks.

mgbeda

After doing some research, I confess I can find no real evidence that the ribs started in 1975 instead of 1974.  In other words I think I was wrong.  The authenticity guide and the parts catalog both say there were 71-72 hubcaps, 73 hubcaps, and 74-76 hubcaps.

I was so sure the '74's had smooth hubcaps, but that was from memory, and you know how that goes.  Perhaps the '74 cars I remember seeing back in the day already had replacement '73 hubcaps on them.

Sorry about that.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610

No harm no foul.

None of us infallible.  ;)

Smedly

I have both 73 and 74 caps hanging on the shop wall I will post a pic of the 74 later if I remember. I am positive that this one is a 73 only cap. 74 has black lines pressed into it around the out portion. not the very outside portion but the inner outside portion if that makes any sense at all :o
I believe this is a 74 in the pic below. yours is the 73
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Quote from: Smedly on August 04, 2015, 08:49:06 AM
I have both 73 and 74 caps hanging on the shop wall I will post a pic of the 74 later if I remember. I am positive that this one is a 73 only cap. 74 has black lines pressed into it around the out portion. not the very outside portion but the inner outside portion if that makes any sense at all :o
I believe this is a 74

According to the member's documentation above, that cover is correct from 74 - 76 which I believe is correct.

Also note the size of the crest on that cover compared to the one on the '73 cover.

Brett Baird

A wealth of information on the subject at the Cadillac database: http://cadillacdatabase.com/Dbas_txt/mascotsg.htm
B Baird
'41 Fleetwood 60 S  http://bit.ly/1jwgEWm
'59 Sedan DeVille 6339 "Flat-top"  http://bit.ly/1jwgUF1

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone.

Thank you so much for all of the in depth information! It was very much help.

-Gavin
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

RobW

the real question would be what are you selling it for? It looks pretty beat up.
Rob Wirsing

Coupe Deville

Smedly

I have 11 of these, I will have to watch and see what it goes for. ;)
Sheldon Hay

RobW

Quote from: Smedly on August 09, 2015, 09:58:05 AM
I have 11 of these, I will have to watch and see what it goes for. ;)

Well good luck! I can't see that being worth $68
Rob Wirsing

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

veesixteen

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"