News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

YOM law in your state

Started by polonus, July 30, 2015, 01:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polonus

I know that in California classic cars can have YOM plate if the number clears DMV records. In North Carolina we have totally illogical law: We can put any YOM plate on 35 year old or older car, as long as it has painted year on it and the actual license plate is somewhere in the car. In the trunk, under the seat etc.

Because we have to have only rear plate, we can put anything in front. I have now NC plate from 1951 in rear, CA plate in front and my actual plate in the trunk of my car.  ;D  I have to present it to anyone who ask, but nobody yet did.  :P

How that law is written in other states?

QuoteNC G.S.  § 20-63.  (d)       Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer shall be attached thereto, one in the front and the other in the rear: Provided, that when only one registration plate is issued for a motor vehicle other than a truck-tractor, said registration plate shall be attached to the rear of the motor vehicle. The registration plate issued for a truck-tractor shall be attached to the front thereof. Provided further, that when only one registration plate is issued for a motor vehicle and this motor vehicle is transporting a substance that may adhere to the plate so as to cover or discolor the plate or if the motor vehicle has a mechanical loading device that may damage the plate, the registration plate may be attached to the front of the motor vehicle.

Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person.

The Division shall provide registered owners of motorcycles and motorcycle trailers with suitably reduced size registration plates.

If I understand the law correctly I don't even have to have NC plate in the rear. It has to be just a "license plates of the year of manufacture". However just to be sure I keep NC plate in the rear, and CA plate in front.

In my garage:
1951 Cadillac Series 62 sedan
1972 Mercury Cougar XR7
1988 Fiat 126p
2008 BMW M3 with ESS Supercharger
2014 BMW 328 - my wife's
2 of 2015 Nissan Leafs - my kid's

Highwayman68

Pennsylvania allows them as long as the plate is from the proper era and has the correct year registration sticker on it. I have a plate and the paper work to do it but I haven't mostly because of the hassle it could bring of being stopped my police officers not aware of the law. I like having fun when I get the car out and trying to educate someone who isn't in the mood to be educated can lead to a miserable time.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

35-709

I have a registered 1935 Florida plate on my '35 Cadillac.  The car has been driven all over the eastern United States and never a problem with a police officer.  Police don't bother with classic and antique cars much unless, of course, they are speeding, running a red light, and that sort of thing.  Florida is a rear plate only state also, I do not believe, however, it is legal to use a different license plate from another era or state on the front here.

Florida requires the "YOM" plate you are going to use to be sent to Tallahassee (state capital) for the DMV to check the number and make sure it is not on another vehicle, if approve they will attach a registration sticker and issue the registration paper work.  After that you renew the plate as you would any other car.  The first low number '35 plate that I submitted turned out to have the same number as a current plate on a motorcycle so I had to start again. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

tozerco

Clearly no speed cameras where you live!
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

bill06447

Connecticut rules (taken from the DMV website:

"According to state law (Title 14 Sec. 14-20), the owner of an antique, rare, or special interest vehicle may be authorized to display the "original" issued license plate that corresponds with the year of manufacture of said vehicle.

In order to qualify for the display of the Year of Manufacture (YOM) plate, registrants must have the original plate or plates in their possession with the plates corresponding to the year of manufacture of the vehicle on which they are to be used.

In order to be given authorization for the display of the YOM plate, the following criteria must be met:
The YOM plates must be Connecticut issued plates
The vehicle must be currently registered with the Early American (Antique) plates.
An Application to Display Year of Original Manufacture Marker Plates (form B-320) must be completed.  Applications can be obtained at any DMV full-service office.
There are no fees associated with the Application to Display Year of Original Manufacture plates.
Applications to Display Year of Original Manufacture plates must be brought to a DMV full-service office along with the YOM plates for approval.
Once the application has been approved and the license plates are being displayed, the following guidelines must be met:
Registration of the Early American (Antique) plates must be maintained.
Early American plates must be kept in the vehicle while the YOM plates are being displayed.
The Early American plate registration document and the Application to Display Year of Original Manufacture Plates (form B-320) must be carried in the vehicle at all times."

Bill

gary griffin

Washington state allows year of manufacture correct Washington state plate or state issued Collector plate. No yearly registration. Just about anything you want in front, I have a British flag on the front of my Stag and will do something Cadillac and LaSalle on the front of my  Cadillacs and LaSalle. Maybe a logo or wreath on the front?

There are use restrictions though. Only for club events, touring, and "Occasional pleasure driving" 

I know some people who use theirs a lot and buy regular plates and renew them every year.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: tozerco on July 30, 2015, 07:51:41 PM
Clearly no speed cameras where you live!
When USA do start using Speed Cameras, there will be massive changes.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

The '35s weight and wind pushing square body don't make it a vehicle for speed although it is comfortable at 70/72 on the interstate.  It performs about the same as my '73 but with the 700R4 gets slightly better mileage.

tturley

Kansas allows plates originally registered to that car.
I am tring to decide if I should repaint my 1940 Lasalle plates or leave them grungy.

Options ?
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

tozerco

Bruce,

Does Tassie still have window rego stickers? Since they were abandoned here the trade in stolen plates has gone through the roof to the point where the cops now have free Saturday workshops to fit "anti-theft" screws to fix your plates for you!
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

The Tassie Devil(le)

The stickers have been gone for 12 months.

It was said to be "Cost-cutting".

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

That California plate looks really good on Pitor's 51.   Too bad they don't let us just pick what looks best.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

Quote from: tturley on July 30, 2015, 10:33:34 PM
Kansas allows plates originally registered to that car.
I am tring to decide if I should repaint my 1940 Lasalle plates or leave them grungy.

Options ?
One caveat --- at one time Florida did not allow repainted/restored plates to be used, they had to be all original.  This has changed and now restored plates are acceptable if they are restored to original condition and colors to the state's satisfaction.  It might be a good idea to check with your local or state DMV to be sure you can restore/paint your plates.   

Chris Conklin

I do believe you can be ticketed in California for not having the correct front plate. But I'm not so sure it's necessarily due to the speed cameras as those are installed by the local municipalities and aren't statewide.

The ubiquitous CA black plate is available now for any car. They are a little different because of the required reflective letters/numbers. A friend ordered them for his new CTS V. Haven't seen them yet.
Chris Conklin

tturley

Kansas does allow restored antique plates as long as they are right colors for that year. I am not sure if that is the right thing to do. If car was original I would defiantly leave them as is but it is completely restored and the plates look sort of out of place.
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

Glen

Hawaii does not allow YOM plates.  They only have one plate for old cars called “Horseless Carriage” plates.  Not really appropriate for most of the old cars on the road.  We even have a half track that has Horseless Carriage plates. 

Some of the guys have a trick that allows them to run YOM plates.  They get vanity plates with the number on the YOM plate.  They keep the vanity plate in the car but display the YOM plate on the car.  If stopped by the police they show the vanity plate and so far the cop always let the driver off. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Kevin M. Parkinson

In Michigan, year of manufacture plates can be registered to a classic vehicle by filling out a registration form and mailing it along with a color photo copy of the plate you wish to register and a one time $35 registration fee. The registration you receive back is non-expiring as long as you own the vehicle. Only rear plates are required but since both were required before 1984, I have matched sets on my classics.
1925 V-63B Custom Suburban
1941 Series 6719
1956 Fleetwood 75 Imperial Sedan
1967 Sedan deVille
1968 Sedan deVille
1972 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Hearse Senior #779
1980 Fleetwood Limousine
1996 Sedan deVille
2006 DTS 1SD
2018 CT6 3.0TT Platinum
2018 Escalade ESV

bcroe

Quote from: tozerco
here the trade in stolen plates has gone through the roof to the point where the cops now have
free Saturday workshops to fit "anti-theft" screws to fix your plates for you!     

My rear plate goes on the door in the center over the gas cap.  The problems had been with
plates getting jammed & lost in snow drifts, and someone messing with the gas cap.  I bolt
the plates on with 1/4" bolts and washers on all 4 corners.  There are double nuts on the
back to be sure they never come loose.  To protect the gas cap I ran a cable from a top
corner of the door through a hole into the trunk.  Here it went over to a hook bolt and back
out to the other door top corner.  I could pop the trunk and unhook the cable; otherwise the
door stayed shut.  No access to the gas cap or the back of the license plate bolts.  Nobody
is going to undue any of this with a screwdriver in a minute. 

When I went to get my latest ('77, 73,000 miles) car, I brought along plates which had the
1/4" hardware hanging from the previous car.  The guy takes off my bolts and sticks the old
self tapping screws into the original plastic nuts.  "These were good enough new, and good
enough now." he says.  I said nothing, but took them apart as soon as I got home; the
plastic was already falling apart.  He might have thought I'd just keep it in the garage and
polish it like he did for 30 years.  Good thing he didn't know, it already has 200,000 miles
and I'm just getting started.  And it is in way better mechanical shape now too.  Bruce Roe

Jeff Wilk

Here is a great site that surveyed the State DMVs for the rules State by State.

http://www.turnerplates.com/YOM%20Index.html

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

35-709

Nice site!  Still recommend anyone thinking of using a YOM plate to check with their DMV.  The site linked above is dated 2006-2007.  Laws in your state may have changed since then as is the case with Florida.