News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Starter Problem (1963)

Started by TrevorK, July 31, 2015, 06:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrevorK

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on a starter problem. The starter on my 63 was turning over slowly, especially when the engine was warm. I decided it was time to have the starter rebuilt, so had it done this spring. Yesterday when I had the car out, when the engine was warm it would not turn over quick enough to start. I had to leave the car for a bit and when I came back to it in a few hours it started right up. Any thoughts? Was the starter rebuild not done properly or could it be something else? It was a reputable shop so I don't think that would be the obvious problem.
Trevor Korsrud

1960 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
1963 Cadillac Convertible

savemy67

Hello Trevor,

Many Cadillac owners have experienced a similar problem - engine warm, sluggish starter.  Your starter rebuild may have been done correctly, but rebuilding the starter may not have done anything for the connections external to, but important for, good starter performance when the engine is warm.  You should check that all connections to the starter are clean and tight.  This includes the ground connections to the block, and both battery connections.  What was done to the solenoid?  Was it rebuilt, replaced, or left as is?  There is a large contact in the solenoid that, when engaged, allows current to pass to the starter motor so the starter motor can rotate.  Was this checked by the starter motor rebuilder?

The starter on my '67 exhibits similar problems, but I have not yet had to wait for the engine to cool.  I will probably rebuild my starter and solenoid in the Fall.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Dave Shepherd

Also, they make a heat shield  for the starter, an amp/volt draw test should done when hot,to add on the ground issue a seperate large cable should be attached to a starter bolt.

russ austin

Either the battery cables are undersized, corroded, or the starter isn't grounded correctly. A large ground strap should be attached from the starter mount bolt, to the frame rails.

If it starts good cold, and not when hot, look at the cables.
R.Austin

Scot Minesinger

Also have replaced starters when this problem occurs and it does cure it.  This could have been an issue, and now it is ruled out if all aspects/components of the starter were rebuilt correctly. 

Agree with other posts, ground strap to frame from engine block(starter), battery cable connections, and body to frame ground connections should all be carefully checked/cleaned.  One quick test on engine block to frame ground is to take a jumper cable and connect it to battery negative the other end connected to engine (like alternator bracket, or other good ground) when engine is hot; then try and start car.  If this cures it you know right where to go.

Plus all of the Cadillacs I have worked on have included a heat shield to protect starter connections and cables from engine exhaust and block heat.  Make one, obtain a good used one, or otherwise install this vital component. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jay Friedman

My experience is with 6 volt Cadillacs, particularly 49-52s, on which this sort of thing is a common problem.  Some simple possible fixes that may also apply to a 12v car include:

1. Cleaning off any paint on the surfaces of the starter motor where it mates to the engine as well as the adjacent surfaces of the engine.  Rebuilders sometimes paint places on starters that should be left bare;

2. As other posters said clean dirt and paint off all cables and make sure they are not replacement cables that are thinner than the original '63 cables;

3. Make sure your battery has at least as many "cold cranking amperes" (usually expressed as CCA) as the original '63 battery or even more;

4. Using a timing light, make sure your distributor's initial advance (timing) setting is not more advanced than specifications call for.  This is a common reason for hard starting when hot.  Check this in the '63 shop manual;

5. A good fix on 6 volts starters is to have it rebuilt with "heavy duty" field coils.  Don't know if this applies to 12 volt applications like yours.  Can anyone else comment?

Hope this helps.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

TrevorK

Lots of good tips there, thanks guys. I will follow-up on them and report back with the results.
Trevor Korsrud

1960 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
1963 Cadillac Convertible