News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Vacuum lines, where does it go to? 55 coupe

Started by 55 cadi, August 01, 2015, 02:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 cadi

Hello all,

I have a vacuum line under my dash that is not connected, It goes up in the direction of the wiper motor. Does it connect to the windshield wiper knob?

At the firewall where all the vacuum lines are connected that go through into the engine compartment, all are spoken for, meaning no open spot for the one that is hanging down from under the dash.

Does anyone have a vacuum line diagram? I have the shop manual but it doesn't show the breakdown of vacuum lines.

Thanks again in advance for the help.
Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

gary griffin

I don't know about your year but earlier the radio antenna was vacuum operated and the vacuum line connected to the radio. Does your antenna work now? If not look for connections on the radio.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

D.Yaros

Your 55 should indeed have a vacuum operated radio antenna.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

55 cadi

The radio vacuum lines are connected, this is a smaller line than the radio lines.

Still stumped as to where/what it is for.
2005 Cadillac deville

Jon S

Do your wipers/washers work?  If not then that's your answer.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

J. Gomez

Quote from: 55 cadi on August 01, 2015, 02:59:19 AM
Hello all,

I have a vacuum line under my dash that is not connected, It goes up in the direction of the wiper motor. Does it connect to the windshield wiper knob?

At the firewall where all the vacuum lines are connected that go through into the engine compartment, all are spoken for, meaning no open spot for the one that is hanging down from under the dash.

Does anyone have a vacuum line diagram? I have the shop manual but it doesn't show the breakdown of vacuum lines.

Thanks again in advance for the help.
Jason

Since you have the vacuum operated washer there should be two lines going through the firewall from the washer.

One is for the washer fluid large diameter hose and the second is the vacuum line smaller hose that should go to the washer control on the dash.

Once you press the dash control the vacuum is close on the line to operate the washer sprayers.

If you need the hose layout at the washer check this site. http://www.wiperman.com/washservpage.html

The control line on the second picture would be the one going to the dash.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

55 cadi

Thank you Gomez,

My wipers have not worked since I bought it, the antenna is broken, I have replaced most all lines but a couple were already missing/broken, which is the one I am trying to get connected so I don't have a reference as to where it went.

I rebuilt the carburetor and want to have all the vacuum lines in working order to see what works and what doesn't.
This is why I want to get this last vacuum line connected, and to get it registered.

I guess I am going to take the dash apart to look at the wiper knob and see if that is we're it should go
2005 Cadillac deville

J. Gomez

Quote from: 55 cadi on August 01, 2015, 10:13:47 PM
Thank you Gomez,

My wipers have not worked since I bought it, the antenna is broken, I have replaced most all lines but a couple were already missing/broken, which is the one I am trying to get connected so I don't have a reference as to where it went.

I rebuilt the carburetor and want to have all the vacuum lines in working order to see what works and what doesn't.
This is why I want to get this last vacuum line connected, and to get it registered.

If you have a copy of the MPL (Master Parts List) there is a picture of the 1955 routing of the hoses at the firewall under Group 35.
Attached is a copy, not sure if this will help you as the washer showing is for the early 1955 with is/was electric. The description for yours indicated you have a late car with the vacuum type.

Quote from: 55 cadi on August 01, 2015, 10:13:47 PM

When I registered mine as a classic several centuries ago at the Denton County local office they only checked the car from the outside while others took pictures  :D no other inspection was done. Not sure if Dallas County has other requirements on inspection for classis category.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

55 cadi

Thank you J. Gomez,

That works for the engine compartment but I really could use the inside compartment routing.

I don't have a master parts list, I would like one, how do I get one?

As far as registering I hope it is the same here in Rockwall outside of Dallas,  I was told over the phone it's the basic light functions and wipers in case of raining.

Which if it's raining I generally won't drive it.

Thanks again for all your help.
2005 Cadillac deville

J. Gomez

Quote from: 55 cadi on August 02, 2015, 06:27:00 PM

I don't have a master parts list, I would like one, how do I get one?

Thanks again for all your help.

There are hard copies for sale on eBay or the CD version. Detroit Iron is the one I purchase (for the 1956 which includes the MPL from 1946-1958 and 1956-1965) since the softcopy is searchable the quality is not that good, not sure about others advertise. The CD copy includes the Shop Manual and the MPL.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082