News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

40's wireing routes and fasteners

Started by gary griffin, August 01, 2015, 11:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

I am looking for information about the proper location and anchoring for wiring my 1942  6719

I took plenty of pictures of my car and my parts car prior to dismantling  them but they had both been modified in several ways. Most of the wiring was running loose and not fastened to the car. I need to know what the fasteners look like and where to buy them.

I have my new wiring  harness in place. I know the 1942 was the first year of the grille through fenders ventilation and it looks like the engine compartment wiring goes under the ventilation hose? I hate to make up all of the connections and then find the wires should have went in another lacation

Any pictures or advice will be appreciated.

garygriffin@Q.com   
206 276 0398
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bobby B

Gary,
  Hi…Just Google (Images) your car year, and put in the keyword "Firewall", " Engine bay", etc.  There are tons of pictures for reference. I'm sure someone on the forum has detailed pictures, but this might get you started in the right direction. I had the same problems and it has been one of the most challenging things on the car to get it back close to factory. I've spent months of research and trying to source out some "correct" items. The most difficult part are the grommets, as you will find that some companies have some, and some others, but none have all, and some you can't even find. You can look into some Buick sources like Bob's Automobilia, or Cars Inc, etc., as some stuff obviously crosses over to Buicks. I'm still fighting to find the last few bits. Hope this Helps. Good Luck!
                                            Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bill Ingler #7799

Gary: I will post some pictures later today    Bill

Hans Ackermann

Bill / Gary Can i get some pics to ?

Thanks. Hans Ackermann
Mail info@elbyranab.se
1940 LaSalle Ser.50 Model 5011 2-door Sedan
1918 Ford Model T Touring
1950 Rex Villiers Road Master
1977 Honda CB750 F

Bill Ingler #7799

Gary; Please keep in mind the pictures I post are from my restoration of my 47 convert, The routing of the wiring should be the same as your 42. I have wiring for a hydraulic pump but other than that I believe the routing would be the same on yours. As for where do you find fasteners. Bob`s Automobila    805-434-2963 shows most of the fasteners you need on page 115 of his catalog.

On the first picture below you can disregard the large black power wire from the hydraulic pump as well as the pump control wires which go from the pump up and along the regulator. Notice the main harness, coming out of the firewall behind the washer, is held to the firewall by a clamp. If Bob or you do not have the clamp, I think I have one from a parts car. Now you will notice that the feed for the starter comes off the main harness and goes across the firewall and held in place by 2 clips as shown in picture 2. I will post more pictures in another email.   Bill

Bill Ingler #7799

Here is another picture of the wire going to the starter solenoid. The second picture shows the clamp holding the harness to the firewall as well as the routing of the vacuum lines and antenna wire from the radio antenna. So what pictures showing which area of the wiring route do you need next?   Bill