News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Stock gauges mechanical vs electric ?

Started by TJ Hopland, August 02, 2015, 11:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Now that I am working a bit on my dad's 57 I am looking closer at other 50's era cars and looking at the differences in them.   One thing I noticed is that some of the 50's gauges are electric and others mechanical.   Wondering why?   Like to have a mechanical oil pressure gauge and an electric coolant temp on the same car?   Was it a cost thing?  Reliability?  It seems that the technology to do either was proven by the 50's.  I can see electric being easier on the assembly side since a wire is easier to deal with than a capillary tube for a temp gauge or tube for the oil sender. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

Quote from: TJ Hopland on August 02, 2015, 11:29:40 AM
Now that I am working a bit on my dad's 57 I am looking closer at other 50's era cars and looking at the differences in them.   One thing I noticed is that some of the 50's gauges are electric and others mechanical.   Wondering why?   Like to have a mechanical oil pressure gauge and an electric coolant temp on the same car?   Was it a cost thing?  Reliability?  It seems that the technology to do either was proven by the 50's.  I can see electric being easier on the assembly side since a wire is easier to deal with than a capillary tube for a temp gauge or tube for the oil sender.   

I like the capillary tube temp gauge; saw a post how to rejuvenate them recently.  Don't
like them on oil pressure since a break could run your engine out of oil, or even dump it
inside the car.  Some 57 Cads used an oil pressure and a tank gauge built like a 3 phase
syncronous motor.  The sender had a ring of resistors with battery applied to sliders on
opposite sides; 3 points on the ring went to the gauge.  These gauges survive, but the
sending units fall apart.  A while back a board was designed so a conventional, readily
available sender signal could be converted to run the original 3 phase gauges.  Bruce Roe