News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1951 Series 62 - Carburetor and fuel millage question.

Started by polonus, August 02, 2015, 04:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polonus

I am getting only 8 mpg in my 1951 Series 62 Caddy.  I know some of you are getting twice that millage. What is wrong with my car? What kind of carburetor do I have? Please, take a look at this video and excuse my accent - I learnt English listening to CB radio.  >:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZgkq1KN5os
In my garage:
1951 Cadillac Series 62 sedan
1972 Mercury Cougar XR7
1988 Fiat 126p
2008 BMW M3 with ESS Supercharger
2014 BMW 328 - my wife's
2 of 2015 Nissan Leafs - my kid's

Jay Friedman

Piotr,

I don't know what kind of carburetor that is, but I can definitely tell you that it is NOT a 1951 Cadillac carburetor.  '51 Cadillacs were originally equipped with a Carter type WCD carburetor, model 845S.  They are excellent carburetors and I can't think of any reason to exchange it for another kind such as you have now. 

Try John Washburn at john.washburn@att.net   He might have one to sell.  Or try the Carburetor Shop, Eldon, Missouri who might have one.

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

gene harl

Jay is right,, find the right  carb with the #'s he gave you.. my 51 does 17 to 18 mpg with that carb... it wont take long to pay for a new carb at that rate...
      Gene Harl    CLC22406

Bobby B

Piotr,
Hi. looks like a GM Rochester that was on an early 70's Nova that I had. Shoot us a picture of the tag or the numbers cast into the top front of the body under the air cleaner base.
                            Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

curly

I agree, it looks like a 1970's Rochester 2GC used on GM and some Jeep vehicles.  The factory Carter Carburetor has smaller throttles and that alone should improve the mpg.  The factory carburetor had an oil bath air cleaner that clamps around the air horn and does not use a threaded stud like the air cleaner you have.  So, if you change to the factory carb, you will need the correct air cleaner.

T Lewis