News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

40's pontoon fender annomoly?

Started by gary griffin, August 06, 2015, 11:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

In installing the spears I found a fixed bolt hole welded into the front position in the front door spear for my 1942 -6719.  Since there is no way to get behind it what is it for, and how do I secure the spear on the pontoon? Any 42 to 48 guys out there that have done this??

garygriffin@Q.com
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bill Ingler #7799

Gary: I hope this blow up helps. If I remember correctly the trim is put on the fender extension first and then the fender extension is bolted to the door. Picture 2 are the clips that go into the molding. Square part of clip inside the molding and round part is pushed into the holes in the fender extension holding the molding to the extension. Then there is a screw marked V with plate on the front end of the molding, a stud with nut next, and then a screw with nut at the ending of the molding. After that end screw is tight then a chrome cap is push/snapped in that hole to cover the end of the screw. These chrome caps are almost impossible to find. If you do have these chrome caps then it is the wise person that once the cap is snapped into place on the extension, put a gob of silicon on the clip from the back side to prevent someone or something taking a small screw diver and popping them off. Yes some people help themselves to those chrome cap covers. I was on a tour when this happened to a Cadillac.     Bill