News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 plug wires - correct?

Started by ts580jk, August 07, 2015, 11:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ts580jk

Recently I lost full 9  points in AACA show due to incorrect plug wires. Surprised but now I know. Can someone sort out the correct number with 90 degree angles and with straight boots?  I see a well known vendor, Caddy Daddy, offers NOS Delco Packard ignition set  claimed correct  for 1959  but I would really appreciate info from forum before spending the money.
Member # 28514
1959 Cadillac Series 62 CCP

Dan LeBlanc

Lectric Limited offers good reproductions for the 390.  Couldn't distinguish them from the factory original set on my 61 other than being about 1/8" longer.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

ts580jk

Thank you! I will go there and look for it.
Member # 28514

Grant Owen

1959 has a total of 3 90 degree boots 1 right front generator , 2 left front power steering , this changed in 1960 to 2 boots 1 right front 1 left front as they changed the design of the power steering bracket. I brought this up with Lectric some time ago & they said I didn't know what I was talking about after some persistence they found out I was correct  (with no thanks of course), I don't know if they have changed their wire sets to suit. 

David Greenburg

Interesting. I suppose that means the NOS '59 wires I recently picked up are not correct for my car.  I'll probably wind up putting them on anyway.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

ts580jk

I now believe Grant is correct HOWEVER,  I too have ordered what Lectric Limited (LL) states is correct for a '59 V* 390 CID. Why? Because I will be better off, I hope, than  I am now. The difference  seems to come down to three 90 degree angles as stated by Grant as correct  vs two 90 degree wires as offered for sale by LL. Another well known vendor offers an even worse purported match to the original specs. So, I have ordered the wires available from Lectric Limited and will hope for the best. Maybe I can distract the next engine judge. Thi$ hobby can be expen$ive but it gets really interesting when some vendors sell  NOS which is off the original spec.
Member # 28514

m-mman

I have heard it said that a functional restoration is affordable, but that the last 10 or so points will likely cost up to $1000 or more a point . . .
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

Jon S

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on August 07, 2015, 12:15:20 PM
Lectric Limited offers good reproductions for the 390.  Couldn't distinguish them from the factory original set on my 61 other than being about 1/8" longer.

Dan -

Even the "official" Delco Packard replacement wires of 1960 were of different length than the factory installed ones. I worked for a United Delco distributor and validated this back in the early 1960's.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Dan LeBlanc

My car still had the factory original plug wires on it. Right down to the 1Q61 date code. The Lectric Limited one's could not be any closer as far as materials and markings go. YMMV.

Pictured are the originals. I'll grab a photo of the repops when I get a chance.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car