News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1952 rear drums securing screws

Started by Philippe M. Ruel, August 08, 2015, 02:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe M. Ruel

About the 2 tiny screws holding each rear brake drum to axle shaft / hub (illustration 1), preventing drum from coming together with wheel on removal.

On my car, the hex heads are rounded after probable use of metric tools decades ago (image 2). The 12-point 1/2" socket turns endlessly on it, it would need a 6-point socket that I don't have, I finished it with pliers.

I could find new, quality replacement screws of the correct length and thread. But original hex heads are unusually thin (images 2-3). Will aftermarket screw heads clear the recesses in wheel rims, or should I grind the heads ?

OK, I could try installing a rim, but I don't have a bare wheel rim, and installing/removing wheels with 235 tires on rear of the car is a pain. Furthermore, it willl be hard to check clearance. I suppose I'm not the first one on this forum to deal with this issue. Thank you.
1952 60 Special in France.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I can't see anything wrong with cutting the head down to match the original bolt.

There would be no worry about decreasing the tensility of the metal due to the heat generated in the trimming process, as they are there simply to stop the drums from falling off when changing a wheel.

These days there would be a lot less changing of wheels due to flat tyres than when these vehicles were brand new.

Bruce >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Walter Youshock

I had to do this with the '57.  Fortunately, I have a bench grinder and it took about 3 minutes to halve the bolt head.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

TJ Hopland

So why did they do this for a while then go to just that spring clip washer?    I imagined that the spring clip was just to keep the drum from falling off as the axle and chassis went through the assembly line, it really didn't have any use after that.   Was that perhaps the same deal with the bolts?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Walter Youshock

That's one possibility during assembly but the drums were also balanced for the axle.  The bolt insures the drum always goes back on in the proper location.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Jay Friedman

Philippe,

I can buy those screws with thinner heads at my local hardware store and will be in France next week where I could mail them to you.  Email me separately at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com

When I was a young guy in the '50s working at an Oldsmobile dealer doing brake jobs, most cars didn't even have these bolts (Olds has the same Bendix brakes).  I guess mechanics previous to me threw them away.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

TJ Hopland

I would have to go look again but I was thinking the drum had more than 2 holes, it was just the axle flange that only had 2 holes.   Maybe I am just confused by the fact that they are close to the lug holes and thinking there are more than there are.   Its also possible that I have a non original drum so maybe they had more holes to fit more cars?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: Jay Friedman on August 08, 2015, 08:42:13 AMPhilippe,

I can buy those screws with thinner heads at my local hardware store and will be in France next week where I could mail them to you.  Email me separately at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com
Thank you Jay, I sent you an email :) .

Quote from: TJ Hopland on August 08, 2015, 08:27:12 AMI imagined that the spring clip was just to keep the drum from falling off as the axle and chassis went through the assembly line, it really didn't have any use after that. Was that perhaps the same deal with the bolts?
Then they probably wouldn't be listed on the Master Parts List - would they ? ???

Quote from: TJ Hopland on August 08, 2015, 08:44:51 AMI was thinking the drum had more than 2 holes, it was just the axle flange that only had 2 holes.   Maybe I am just confused by the fact that they are close to the lug holes and thinking there are more than there are.   Its also possible that I have a non original drum so maybe they had more holes to fit more cars?
There are definitely 2 holes in the drum and in the axle flange, giving them only one position relatively to each other.
1952 60 Special in France.