News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 Eldo Biarritz 6 way seat

Started by kkarrer, August 10, 2015, 01:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkarrer

Hi Guys!
     Does anyone out there have some experience with the electric front seat of a 58 Eldo Biarritz?  I think the restorer or upholstery guys left something out.  I finally uncovered most of the wiring connections (7pin) and the two plugs that go into the motor. The motor now  works and turns the worm gear, but the seat doesn't move. The worm gear just spins and only in one direction.  It appears that there 3 missing solenoids which must have electrical connections as I have some wiring connectors left over.  The 57-58 manual and supplement drawings aren't a whole lot of help.  I think that all of the other items are present, but while I'm very experienced with 55 cars and seats, these 58's are considerably different.  Any help, especially actual pictures of the underside of a correct seat would be very helpful.  This car was bought at auction by one of my new CLC members, following the death of a guy who had it in a museum collection display and while some very good work was done, some interior details were not taken care of (there's a problem with the trunk too, door fitment, and top operation as well).
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken Karrer CenTex Regional Dir.
1955 convertible coupe

chris cunliffe

1957 Eldorado Seville #967

Walter Youshock

Sounds like a solenoid issue.  If the motor is working then that's the next place to look.

What an overkill design to move a seat.  I think that seat mechanism aline weighs 150 pounds...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

kkarrer

Chris and Walter,
     Thanks for getting back with me.  Those pictures and diagrams will be very helpful, but right now I think I have to track down the three solenoids.  Please let me know if anyone out there has a source.  Also, I guess in 58, at least for the Biarritz, they moved the seat switch to the door, but looks like the only difference.
Thanks again,
Ken Karrer CenTex Regional Director
1955 convertible coupe

Walter Youshock

Correct about the switch.  Try to energize the solenoids individually with a 12v source like a battery charger (if the seat is out of the car).

They may need a shot of PB Blaster or equivalent.  Hard to believe all 3 are stuck though.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

kkarrer

Walter,
     I think the biggest problem is that the 3 solenoids are missing.  I can see 3 box like structures in a row near the worm gear where I think they should fit, but who ever put this car together did not include those solenoids.  I'll call Honest John tomorrow and Ed at All Cads, but I don't know of another source right off the bat.
Thanks,
Ken Karrer CenTex Regional Dir.
1955 convertible coupe

Walter Youshock

That would certainly explain it then.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham