News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Grease for power vent motor

Started by Ch6p23, August 11, 2015, 07:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ch6p23

Hi all ,
I'm about to replace the stripped gear cog in my 67 Cadillac power vent motor, I noticed there is a smooth , black coloured grease coating the parts . Does anybody have a suggestion what grease to use in these gearbox  assemblies ? , I could leave it as is as there seems to be a fair bit of grease left , although at 48 years old , it should be renewed .
Any help appreciated
Martin
Australia

russ austin

White lithium grease paste.   The white lithium grease gets hard with age, so I try to stay away from that on sliding parts.  On mechanical moving parts, its good to go.
R.Austin

Jason Edge

Martin, I have sort of cycled around from wheel bearing grease, to white lithium grease, back to the wheel bearing grade greases for contained window motor, vent window motor and other similar gears. The wheel bearing and other similar greases will far exceed the original grease and since it is designed for high pressure, high temp applications and it should definitely never break down. And, if you want the most demanding grease their are synthetic versions. For me there is just something about white lithium grease, which is basically general purpose grease with Zinc added, that makes it seem to have less lubrication properties that wheel bearing grease. It seems more pasty and less "greasy". After having pulled and cleaned and repacked many window and vent window motors, I think both are fine but my preference for now, is the wheel bearing grade greases. Seems like a slicker grease and specs will far exceed any motor gear application and it is relatively cheap. You can get a lb can of it by Lucas, Timken, Valvoline, etc. on Amazon for less that $10.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Ch6p23