News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Power module for climate control fan 88 Brougham

Started by DaveShreiner CLC#23834, August 16, 2015, 02:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveShreiner CLC#23834

What do you do when the power module for the fan motor fails and no replacements are available?  Just to get the fan running again, I have made a new ground connection with an on-off switch.  But the switch gets hot when its on at full speed.  Can one somehow use the resistors in the module?
Dave Shreiner
CLC#23834

Walter Youshock

Parts for these cars are getting harder to find.  Did you check with a dealership?  The one on my '91 went on the way to Grand Nationals in 2011.  The fan wouldn't shut off.  I had to order one from Cadillac and it was available but not cheap.  It is also different from your carburetored '88 but may be worth checking.  It may have been used in other GM vehicles.

I do see them on ebay.  Other option is junkyards.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

DaveShreiner CLC#23834

Thanks for your comments.  I have found these modules on ebay too but they are never the right model for the 88 Brougham.  I have been told they are unavailable from the dealership.  I didn't check personally but someone did for me.  I know the 90 Broughams have a different module and Eldorados of the early 80s are even more different and not like each other except for two years in a row.  A local aftermarket dealer told me these were a hot item years ago but unavailable now.  My 79 Eldo had a simple design and it was easy to wire into the open resistors, but the 88 module is very different and is transisterized.  The only thing they have in common is a heat sink.  I haven't been able to find any on junkyards either.  They seem to be all extracted from the few cars I have found.  If I could find one on ebay that looks like it can fit, I may try to adapt it, but I know the shape is different. 
Dave Shreiner
CLC#23834

Walter Youshock

Should be the same for all the Olds powered 5.0 brougham including 1990.  Unfortunately my parts guru passed away and I really don't know what to tell you.

What's the part number?  Should be on the module somewhere.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

DaveShreiner CLC#23834

After reading your comment I looked again on ebay and found a used one for almost 200 bucks.  I have sent the seller a note asking if he knows if it works or if I can return it if it doesn't work.  If I get a reasonable reply, I will buy it.  I had installed the old one in the car and I don't remember the part number.  I had done a search for that part number and it was listed several places online but none of the listings showed they had an actual part.  They all said not available, not in stock, or something similar.
Dave Shreiner
CLC#23834

Walter Youshock

I paid around $300 for a new one from the dealer.  For a used one, I'd want to be absolutely positive it works.

Mine went with no warning.  After driving about 4 hours with the air on, we stopped for dinner.  I shut off the car snd the fan kept running.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

cadillactim

For your reference, the 1981-89 RWD Fleetwoods and Broughams use the same module. The Eldo/Seville are 80-81, and 82-85. They are getting tough to find. Typically the compressor turn on circuit goes bad and/or the fan stays running.

When you do find one replace your blower motor. As these motors age, they will pull more current and can contribute to the module failing sooner. Since blower motors are fairly cheap, it worth the added protection.

Tim
Tim Groves

DaveShreiner CLC#23834

In my case the fan wouldn't turn on but the compressor worked.  I am awaiting a reply from the guy who has a used one.  I am skeptical about getting it because I don't know if it will work.
Dave Shreiner
CLC#23834